WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

About snakes!

About snakes!

Rate this Entry
I've read a lot of blogs on this site but none of them talk about snakes. Since I'm planning a thrue-hike NOBO on the AT in April, I would like to have some feedback as to how prevalent they are on the trail, what to do in case of encounter, and if worse in case of bite. I'm from Québec; we don't have them up here, so I'm sort of in the dark as to the whole question.
Thank you for replying.
Tags: 1'", 1ˤˢ Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Snakes are in "my opinion" easy to get along with where ever you are just use common sense. Stay away from them!!!! It is highly unlikely they are going to crawl in your bag or anything. Most snake bites are a result of people trying to handle the snakes. They don't want anything to do wiith you I promise.
    Thank you for the feedback ec.hiker

Blue eyes
    I have come across on 6'+ timber rattles last year, but he just hissed as I passed by him with in three feet. Over all, there is no need for concerns, I have spent loads of days out hiking the AT and there are no issues. You should be more concerned with other hikers stink!!! lol
    I've caught and relocated a good number of Timber Rattlers in my life. Never have I heard one "hiss."

Advice, when you are in the forest during the warm months, always be on the lookout for snakes. A bite from a Copperhead will not kill you. A bite from a Rattlesnake can be deadly!
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyBees
    I've caught and relocated a good number of Timber Rattlers in my life. Never have I heard one "hiss."

Advice, when you are in the forest during the warm months, always be on the lookout for snakes. A bite from a Copperhead will not kill you. A bite from a Rattlesnake can be deadly!
    Death from Copperhead are rare for sure but they HAVE occurred. Years ago a Copperhead fell into a chair lift off the cable at Ghost Town in NC and bit a woman several times. She died before getting to a hospital. Now why she AND the snake stayed in that chair for several bites is beyond me. I or that snake one would have gotten outta that chair before it bit me that many times. I would have either grabbed the sucker and threw it out or I woulda jumped out...LOL..