WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

muddy2010

Finished My Thru-hike!

Rating: 5 votes, 4.00 average.
I made it up Katahdin on September 16, 2010. I was on the trail for 184 days and I took over 6 million steps. I hiked for 160 days. My average hiking speed was just over 2 miles an hour. I averaged 11.81 miles per day. My longest day was 24 miles and the shortest was 1 mile and I took 24 days off (zero days). I spend 30 nights in a hotel, 10 nights in hostels, 120 days in shelters, and I used my tent 15 days. The elevation change was 475,200 feet.Clingmans Dome was the highest peak wat 6643 feet. The Hudson River was the lowest point at 124 feet.

I didn’t take or need a gun. I did get to see a few bears, a few rattlesnakes, and one lunatic in the Smoky Mountains. I survived. I found out about being wet for a week. I packed my hiking gear and hoisted it up and realized it's a lot lighter than when I started.

Like EZ Hiker, I will always have a fondness for walking up to a shelter with the anticipation of seeing other hikers I’ve met previously on the trail. Seeing another hiker you have not crossed paths with in awhile was always a happy encounter.

Spotting a moose or a bear unexpectedly was exciting. I did get to see bears in Virginia and New Jersey and I saw moose in Maine. I saw a flock of wild turkeys on the Skyline Drive in Virginia. There were deer all along the trail. The bugs, ticks and the snakes I don’t miss.

I miss standing on the tops of ridges and being able to see for miles and miles. This is rare on the trail as I was usually looking at my feet. The best views were in North Carolina, New Hampshire and Maine. These views were spectacular.

I miss hitting an all you can eat buffet places and not worrying about gaining weight. In Catawba, VA, seventeen thru-hikers waited at the Home Place Restaurant as it opened. They put us in a private room because of our smell, I guess. Since I’ve gotten back I’m trying not to gain weight.

I miss turning a corner on the trail and finding a cooler full of trail magic. That act of kindness by someone I’ve never met made even the hardest day on the trail suddenly much better. My wife and I plan next year to pay it forward.

I miss talking to thru-hiker that tell me about their hike. Sea bear, Cotton Patch, Billy the Kid and Silver back met me along the trail. They encouraged me to keep going. They were right. I made it to the top of Mount Kathadin.

I miss seeing people like Fireman, Mud Foot, HDMama, Whipper Snap, Sid, Magnet, So Far, and Dodger. Of all the great things that happen on the trail, it is the friendships I made with other hikers that make it a memorable experience. Most of these are now on Face book with me.

If you are thinking of thru-hiking, GO FOR IT. Happy Trails!
Tags: 1'", 1ˤˢ Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Very inspiring! I'm hiking 2011, thanks for sharing.
    Nice recap. Congratulations! I'm hiking 2011. Getting very exited.
    Congrats! i had an over powering sense of pride well up inside of me when i read that! funny since i've never even met you, yet im am proud of you regardless! You will be able to say the same for me next year! thru hiking 2011!! woop woop!
    I hope I have the same experience, minus snakes! hiking 2011
    Congratulations. You should be proud.
    you inspire me!
    Wonderful!
    Very nice. Congratulations.
    Congratulations, I can't wait to prepare for mine.
    Great stuff I leave with my daughter for the thru hike sobo June 4 2012 cant wait to tell of my own experiance!
    My wife and I are planning a thru hike in a couple of years and in the few words you left it inspirers me to procede.
    Awsome!!! Working on starting in March 2013, after reading your story I may leave tonight. ( well not really ) But I will be ready>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Thanks
    Thank you! It is official, just booked my flight. Will be on Springer 2/21/13. I plan on a slowly growing into the larger mile day's. So many of the March starts will probably catch up to me.