WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Kaptainkriz

Old Orchard Shelter to Hurricane Mountain Shelter – Views at Scales

Rate this Entry

This was a wonderful hike to extend my AT section miles North from where we left off at the Scales Campground near Grayson Highlands last Fall. I parked at the Fox Creek trailhead parking on VA 603 and hiked South up past the Old Orchard Shelter and to where the trail meets the Pine Mountain Trail. I took a little time and enjoyed the fantastic views a little farther South and then returned North to the Old Orchard Shelter. It was very windy and cold, and the shelter seemed a little sad, with lots of gaps between the logs that let the winds blow through. I would normally have tented, but the ground was frozen pretty hard and I did not want to drive stakes in. The privy was excellent and water was flowing well at this site. With no one else around and plenty of time left in the day (and no cell service), I decided to hike back North and go the next shelter (Hurricane Mountain Shelter). Hurricane Mountain Shelter is outstanding, with tight construction and a covered picnic table area. The privy was just as nice and the water was a nearby stream down the hill.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments