WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Dirk's Rambles

Tuesday, April 6, 5:30 am

Rate this Entry
I checked into Natures Inn Hostel last night at 7:30 pm after a long day on the trail. I got two opposing sets of directions from hikers yesterday, both of whom said the hostel was only .2 of a mile from the trail. Both were wrong. Luckily, I had the phone number for another hostel, who gave me the phone number for Natures Inn. I called and a man named Taft, the owner, came and picked me up.

IN the last three days (April 3, 4, and 5) I have covered 11, 15.9, and 18.1 miles respectively. The three day total was 45 miles. For the last 5 days in a row, without a zero, I have covered 79.4 miles. Not bad for a guy who will be 66 years old next week.

For the previous two nights, I have been camping with the same group of guys and one woman. They have been alot of fun. Their trail names are Aquaman, Surplus, Stew, Quiet Man, Toboggan, Huckleberry, Gunga Din, Disco, and a few others. I am staying in a room with Igloo, who I met the night before in the shelter.

We came across trail magic on April 4 and 5. Yesterday, a local guy came driving by and saw us, turned around and came back. He asked our hosts if he could eat. His name was lloyd Shelton. It ended up that he was blood relative to two men who were buried along the trail at the top of the mountain during the Civil War when they were riding back for a family reunion from their duties as Northern soldiers. They were ambushed by Confederates. We had a good time talking to him! Took a great picture of him and our group.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized