WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Dirk's Rambles

Monday, March 22, 2021, 7:25 am

Rate this Entry
Sam Cosgrove, Brett and Vanita's friend, picked us up at 8 am for a quick breakfast then took us to Winding Stair Gap where he picked us up on Friday. He has been so good to us!

So off we went on the trail! We hiked 12.3 miles and camped at Licklog Gap. Climbed two mountains- Siler Bald (5,216') and Wayah Bald (5,342'). Good day!

Stayed a licking Gap. There were three middle aged women staying there at the campsite across the trail from us. They were really nice. We only spoke to them for a few minutes. After we went to bed, we heard them laughing with each other thru the night. They sounded like they were decompressing!

Sunday we had a relatively flat walk and covered 14 miles. We walked within one mile at the Nantahala Outdoor Center (NOC). Camped with Five Pound (Stephanie) and her husband, Geoff (Mule). They are from Minnesota and alotta fun. We had dinner with them a few nights ago. They now live in Texas. We are talking with Geoff about going on a fishing trip with them in the Boundary Waters.

We woke up in the morning and hiked the last mile to NOC. Ran into Geoff, Stefanie, Colleen (Squash), and Elizabeth, as well as several others. Spoke with them for a long time. Colleen just heard that she was accepted for Residency in Austin, TX at the UT Hospital. She was really excited.

Left the NOC with Elizabeth. Brad had left before me an hour before. Two Fer was along the trail and joined us. Was very excellent conversation about our lives on the way. Elizabeth was named "Rebound" by Two Fer because of her ability to recover from blisters on her feet so fast.

I ended up sleeping at Sassafras Gap. Colleen, Elizabeth and several others I have met are here. Colleen introduced me to peanut butter and cheese burritos.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized