WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Kaptainkriz

Day 1 of 4 in the Whites - Franconia Ridge

Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.

Alpha-Gal and M2 planned this as a 4 day hike from Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch using the Hut system for overnights. Day 1 is from the Liberty Springs Trailhead up to the Franconia Ridge Trail and back down to Greenleaf Hut. This hike passes over the summits of Little Haystack Mountain, Mount Lincoln, and Mount Lafayette. Alpha-Gal and M2 made a quick stop for lunch at the Liberty Springs Tentsite and checked out the spring and privy and then proceeded the rest of the way up to the ridge. The climb up Little Haystack was more difficult than anticipated and took much longer than planned. After crossing the ridge, summiting Mount Lafayette, and descending down to Greenleaf Hut, Alpha-Gal and M2 enjoyed a good dinner. @17:24 I point out Mount Washington but labeled it as Garfield. It was so clear and it seemed so close, lol.

Miles hiked for the day: 8.8
Total miles hiked for the weekend: 32.6

Comments

Went back up Mt. Washington again last year, now 77 years old; this has been a zero year, I guess. I've enjoyed the video from Fort Lauderdale. Assume I'll see you at Mt. Washington and on to VT next. Thank you for the walk. Rob, Cheerful.
    Thanks for the comment Rob! Hope to get back up there soon to continue North.