WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

• Meds, Their Uses and other Pearls

Meds, Their Uses and other Pearls

By Greentick
    Last edited 14 March 2006

By way of introduction, I am not a doctor. I am a physician assistant working in the ER of a metro Atlanta hospital system. I have done this for about 5 years, minus one overseas with the Army. Prior to and concurrent to that I was a Special Forces Medical Sergeant. SF Medics are arguably the most highly trained medics in the world. We have a wide scope of practice from battle trauma to surgery to general medicine, pharmacology, nursing and more. I was an SF medic for 13 years active duty and national guard. Your tax dollars paid for the training, I'm just giving it back to you. I wrote most of this article as a post in a thread but was recommended to submit it as an article so I've added some things as well as clipped in some of my other posts.

This article is intended to supplement any other medical lists not replace them.

I would recommend getting a book on Wilderness Medicine to read prior to hiking.

The med portion of your medical kit could contain:

Ibuprofen 200mg (generic for Advil, Motrin, Nuprin - you can pretty much use whatever store brand is the cheapest) in the 200mg over-the-counter (OTC) dose. Always try to take it with some food, especially if using consecutive doses. For consecutive dosing the rule of thumb for max dose is 1 hour per 100mg: ex. Take 800mg (4 tabs) every 8hr or 600mg every 6hr (better dose for long term use). If using less works, obviously use less. For pain relief use one dose. When used for inflammation it usually takes a couple of days of multiple dosing to get full effect. Works the best for fever control. Use it for burns and sunburn. If you like Naproxen better substitute it here. If you start vomiting blood or see black, tarry stools stop taking it, take some Pepcid, and seek medical care.

Pepcid 20mg (famitodine is the generic). Uses: heartburn (after the trail food and ibuprofen) and allergic reactions. Can take every 12hrs if needed. If you are going to eat something that you know will give you heartburn take it about an hour before (just like the commercial says). If you get into poison ivy, etc you can use it to control itching without the drowsiness of Benadryl. Use 'em together for even better relief.

Aspirin. If you have heart attack risk factors or are hiking with someone who does pack a few. If they start with some chest pain good ole aspirin is still a frontline treatment. You can also crush it, moisten it and put it on bug bites. Will work for fevers too. Avoid long-term use at full doses or your gut may suffer.

Narcotics: 24hrs (4-6 tabs) of a narcotic such as Lortab/Vicodin or Percocet among others. You may only be able to get this if you have a good relationship with your primary care provider. A few tabs will have minimal abuse potential (read: addiction) and if you break a bone and are immobilized a narcotic may make your stay more comfortable until someone stumbles on you. Another fairly common pain complaint: kidney stones. As previously mentioned in this thread, narcotics only MASK your pain, just symptomatic relief, so their use should be in extremis. You can use it in conjunction with an anti-inflammatory. Alternate/multitasking: will slow down diarrhea and will quiet a cough when nothing else works.

Benadryl 25mg, (or whatever store brand, generic diphenhydramine), antihistamine. It has multiple uses but is *sedating*. Allergic reaction: blocks the mechanism that causes it take 2. Cough suppressant take 1. Anti-nausea take 1. Sleep aid take 1-2.

Antibiotic: the best "if you have to carry just one type" is Levaquin (no generic yet) 500mg. 10 pills. Easy dosing, just one per day. Will work for just about anything: urinary tract infection 3-5 days. Respiratory/sinus 10days. Skin infections or penetrating trauma 3-7 days. Anthrax: its got you covered. Persistent (more than 4-5 days) or bloody diarrhea: take for up to 1 week. Again you will need an RX for this and it is a bit pricey (~$8 a pill).

Anti-diarrheal: As I say in the ER, "I love diarrhea!" In the civilized world it is usually just an inconvenience with porcelain never far away. Therefore, it's easy to treat. However, in the woods it can really mess up your day (sorry, bad pun). To treat or not to treat, that is the question. Typically I would advise against anti-diarrheals and say just up the fluid consumption and flush it out. Many times it will resolve itself within 24 hours. If you have to use an anti-diarrheal then just try to reach a point where the diarrhea is slowed as you can end up on the other end of the regularity spectrum, constipation. If you are hiking in hot weather and sweating a lot, a stretch of bad "spontaneous regularity" can set you up for big problems. Might be a good time to take a couple of zeros or neros. Half strength Gatorade will be your friend because you will need the electrolytes as well as the fluid. It's one thing to push on because you have a military mission to complete but when you have spent months planning and preparing for a long distance hike don't be stupid and get yourself dropped. Make it to the next shelter or town and lay up. Also think BRAT diet. Bananas, Rice, Apples, and Toast for a couple of days. This goes hand in hand with the zeros as it is hard to maintain proper calories on the BRAT. If the diarrhea continues past 3-4 days consider starting the Levaquin or seeking medical care. If you have uncontrolled vomiting AND diarrhea (as in "everything I eat or drink comes back up") that lasts longer that a few hours, you need to seek medical care. You can seriously dehydrate in a short period of time. Obviously, hydration is the key. If you are nauseous, frequent small sips of clear fluids are the key. If you are somewhere you can lay up take Benadryl (OTC), Phenergan, Reglan, or Meclizine (Antivert) (RX). These will make you sleepy. Another great RX anti-nausea is Zofran. It is non-sedating and is available in a dissolving tablet. Downside: super expensive, so just keep 3-4 if you carry it. Imodium and Kaopectate both are available in tablets over the counter. Just follow the directions on the box. If you are able to, drink plenty of water/fluids with this and as soon as the diarrhea slows down, stop the meds to avoid constipation. I don't care for Pepto Bismol because when we test for blood in your stool in the ER Pepto will make the results falsely positive. The human body is designed to be amazingly resilient, take care and you will be on your feet in no time. So, to summarize my "diarrhea of the mouth:"

OTC vomiting and diarrhea meds and treatment:
    BRAT diet
    Half strength Gatorade
    Benadryl (nausea) - caution, sedating
    Kaopectate (diarrhea)
    Imodium (diarrhea)

RX meds for nausea
    Sedating: Phenergan, Reglan, Antivert (all fairly cheap)
    Non-sedating: Zofran ($$$$!)

Other meds to consider that don't multitask:
    - Some cold medicine tabs or strips, ex Dimetapp if you are hiking during cold/flu season.
    - Pseudoephedrine for congestion
    - Multivitamins
    - Hydrocortisone ointment/cream
    - Epi Pen if allergic to bees (for last resort use)

I keep a Ziploc container (light, tough, and disposable) with this stuff in Ziploc bags. You can make a little cheat sheet with all dosings, shrink it down to the smallest readable size and drop it in the container too.

If you are carrying RXs snip the info and put it somewhere waterproof in case you run into the thru hiker cops.

Also useful: a card with your full name, contact numbers, SSN, medical/surgical history, daily meds and doses, and allergies in case you end up in the ER somewhere.

Wound Care

No Hydrogen Peroxide/Betadine/or alcohol on open wounds. Kills and or denatures all tissues and can (eventually) make a better environ for bad stuff.

Soap and treated water to clean open wounds. The more irrigation the better with some moderate pressure. You could probably have someone push on your hydration bladder and with the bite valve off get some decent pressure.

Neosporin ointment is a good general-purpose item. Wound care and good for monkey-butt.

Use Betadine/HP/or alcohol on unbroken skin, for example if you are going to bust a blister or an abscess or give an injection. Betadine and HP are anti-microbial, alcohol degreases (and takes the microbes with it).

In the ER I currently do wound prep with Betadine and sterile saline at a 1:10 mix. I will also use this for irrigation of dirty wounds. Be careful, the person may not like you anymore after using this combo - it burns.

If you carry moleskin try to get Tincture of Benzoin. It is a sort of surgical glue to enhance the adhesion factor of moleskin or Steristrips. Just don't get it in the wound. I have watched people drain blisters with a needle and then inject tincture of Benzoin back into the blister (this was in the army not in the ER). I think this is how break-dancing was invented. Make sure it dries (it will be tacky) before applying the moleskin. Should stick for days and days.

Toenails and other interesting tidbits.

This is looking at the treatment of "hiker's black nail," a subungual hematoma, and hangnails.

1. Leave the damaged nail in place if possible. If it comes off don't sweat it but it will act as a splint for its replacement nail.

2. Trimming toenails/hangnail-blacknail prevention. There is a fine line here. Trim them too short and you can predispose yourself to hangnails which are painful. Too long and you run the risk of crunching it in your boot - not to mention wearing out your socks prematurely. The textbook answer for those susceptible to hangnails is to trim them so that the "corners" (for lack of a better term) are out past the end of the skin. However I have seen them hang up anyways (personal experience). I think some folks are just predisposed. There is a happy medium I suppose but if you seem to be having problem you just have to be more diligent and trim the nails a little more often. A wedge excision could be performed in the field on a hangnail if desperate but I may save that class for a different day.

3. Field treatment of the subungual hematoma. A SH can be differentiated from simple black nail by one easily determined symptom - PAIN! It is caused by an injury under the nail and is a pocket of blood. They are characterized by a constant throbbing pain. Sometimes a SH will spontaneously drain, like the old mans (touched a large bubble on one toe and it began to bleed profusely). Sometimes you can bear the pain. Sometimes you gotta drain em. Nowadays in the ER we have the luxury of using an electo-cautery (easy to use and sounds way cool when you say it). However, it's not necessary. Even just a few years ago we used the same technique you can use in the field. Clean the toe. Use a safety pin or better yet a paperclip (but who carries a paperclip). Get the tip red hot and touch it to the nail over the SH and apply light pressure. Repeat until you are bubbling crude. If you are doing this on a buddy watch out, they can squirt pretty far. Don't worry about burning/hitting live tissue. If you pull back when you see blood you won't be anywhere near nerves or viable tissue. As in 1. above, leave the nail in place to act as a splint for the new nail (yes you are probably going to lose the old one). Another technique that doesn't require heat uses an 18ga sterile needle (if it isn't sterile, use your lighter). Spin the needle between your finger and thumb while applying pressure and slowly bore a hole.

The pain relief will usually be immediate.

*When not to use this technique*: If you suspect a broken toe underneath don't drain and consider seeking medical care. If you drain it and have a fracture you can essentially create an open fracture, which is bad news in the field.

That's all for now.
    Oh yeah, clean you hands before you eat and after calls of nature. More if someone in your group is sick...
    This article was originally published in forum thread: medical pearls (Health and Safety) started by Greentick18d View original post
    Comments 46 Comments
      uncas -
      Hello,

Tobasco, I found it coincidental that you named da crabs. Mainly because Tobasco is a great anti-crabal ointment. The capaczin in the sauce drives the critters out. Also great for CR, chafing and hemmies...

Greentick, great note. Thanks for the generous info. BTW, what is the latest on wilderness treatment of poisonous snakebite. Though it has been more than twenty years since I have seen a rattler on the AT.

Thanks,
      Vi+ -
      Greentick,

Thanks for the explanation (Post #21).

You ask, "Does this make sense?"

Maybe. I've rewritten your explanation, as follows, using what has always seemed to me to be a curious "SCIENTIFIC TERM."

Food and liquids move from the stomach into the small intestine (which actively absorbs nutrients - sugar, potassium, sodium, etc, along with some incidental water). The remainder subsequently moves into the large intestine (which actively absorbs water).

Half-strength sports drinks allow the most absorption of water in the small intestine, accelerating your absorption of water. Additional water the body needs will be absorbed in the large intestine when it concentrates your stool. This suggests the relationship between hydration and constipation.

Does the rewrite keep your meaning, or have I changed it?

And, any ideas regarding the origin of the use of the term "STOOL?"

Thanks.
      greentick -
      Vi+: And, any ideas regarding the origin of the use of the term "STOOL?"

You know, I heard that at one time, don't remember now.

Uncas: what is the latest on wilderness treatment of poisonous snakebite

Check out http://www.fda.gov/FDAC/features/995_snakes.html

Evacuate.

Additional tips from the SOF medic handbook:
      -immobilize the limb below the level of your heart (hard to do if you are solo)
      -clean the area around the bite
      -use tylenol or a narc for pain control, no NSAIDS (ibuprofen, naproxen, etc)
      -suction of the site (NOT WITH MOUTH) is reasonable within minutes of envenomation if remote from hospital care. The best device resembles a syringe with the end of the barrel being open. You can make one from a syringe by carefully cutting the end off.
      -DO NOT incise bite sites.
      -remove all jewelry from the bitten extremity
      -if the snake can be safetly killed retrieve the head. Be careful, dead snakes can reflexively bite.
      -hydrate, no eating

Many bites are "dry" and though no venom is injected the snake's mouth is home to many unfriendly organisms. You will, at a minimum, be left with a puncture wound which can develop into a nasty tissue infection.

I would advise a pre-hike tetanus booster, unless you have had one in the last 5 years.
      Klezmorim -
      Quote Originally Posted by Vi+ View Post
      And, any ideas regarding the origin of the use of the term "STOOL?"
      "Stool" is a case of a noun being derived from a verb. "Stooling" is archaic English for "doin' yer bidness." "Stool" used to refer to that special throne used for this purpose. How or when the transition from comfort furniture to metabolic by-product occured is still a mystery.
      stickman -
      I can vouch for the red hot paperclip as a tool to relieve the pain of a crushed nail. A friend closed the car door on my finger nail once at the trail head, and had immediate bad pain, it was instantly turning black, etc. After a minute or so of gently applying a hot paperclip (my hikng buddy did this), the nail spurted blood, and the pain relief was immediate. It looked kind of gross, but worked!

Stickman
      SGT Rock -
      Ill get this one moved over too - hopefully soon.
      nurseygurl -
      subungual hematoma is a collection of blood (hematoma) underneath a toenail or fingernail. If you don't want to to the hot paperclip method...
      Take your sharpest small metal instrument. pass it over a flame to cleanse away the "germs" and drill a little hole thru the darkest spot of the nail creating a 'crater'; when the blood flows the pressure is released.
      a tiny drill bit drilled by hand through the fingernail works at the house so does a 16 G needle but who has that on the trail.
      disclaimer::
      just my opinion i am not a medical doctor and I did not stay at a holiday inn express.

but... I have done this procedure at least 35 times in 30 years and I like it better than the heat or cautery method.
      Jack Tarlin -
      Hey Greentick, just wanted to say this is one of best things I've ever seen on this website and it should be required reading for anyone considering a hike of any length on the A.T.
      2Questions -
      Great info Greenstick! Sometimes I get all caught up in the hiking and camping, the gear that goes with it, and forget to be just as studious about first aid! And to think that in reality something as small as a toenail can become a deterrent to a trip or at least make one miserable. Thanks again. I've decided to print your article, fold it up, and add it to my first aid kit, but better yet, begin to get a bit more serious about first aid and start reading more about it and letting my obsession on creating the "ultimate alky stove" (or similar constant daydream) go to the back burner for a while.
      Blue Jay -
      Your body causes you pain for a very important reason. You are damaging yourself. Slow down or do less miles or carry less weight or do something/anything different from what you were doing. Taking a pill and continue damaging yourself is not the smartest thing to do. I am aware this is a minority opinion.
      Lone Wolf -
      Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
      Your body causes you pain for a very important reason. You are damaging yourself. Slow down or do less miles or carry less weight or do something/anything different from what you were doing. Taking a pill and continue damaging yourself is not the smartest thing to do. I am aware this is a minority opinion.
      i agree. pills are BIG business. doctors are GODS to most.
      take-a-knee -
      Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
      First I'd like to agree that your opinion is sage advice, but not always the likely or even best course. Greentick was a Green Beret(SF Medic), after which he worked two jobs to get through PA school, guys like that know how to play hurt.
      beakerman -
      Something I started doing back when I first moved out west (NM) and started hiking at altitude was take an asprin before the day's hike. Not because of any heart condition but because it tends to thin the blood (with normal levels of hydration)which can increase the blood flow to the extremities. This means a slower onset of muscle fatigue and altitude related headaches.

Not really a trail first aid/medicine but certainly a tip that has helped me out over the years. I still do it as a kind of performance enhancer when I play paintball against the teenagers.

I would not however recomend this for a daily routine as you can get some stomach issues if you are in the least bit asprin sensative.
      kettish -
      Greentick-hello from another Army medic, though not SF! One caveat to your snakebite advice: if you're solo, don't bother going after it-those things are freakin' FAST and all you'll do is spread the poison further while you're chasing snakes through the brush and getting yourself lost. LOL!

Also, REI sells QUIKCLOT now!! If it weren't for the fact that I can yoink some from the aid station, I'd be buying it in bulk before some moron eats it and gets it pulled from the shelves!

And, where's the gauze? Didn't they say something about gauze in AIT?
      SMSP -
      What about Darvocet (pink/reddish pill with A256 on it)? From what I have found about it...Pink oblong tablet imprinted A256 is 100 mg propoxyphene napsylate and 650 mg acetaminophen - generic Darvocet-N 100.

I have some left over from an injury. Since it's a pain reliever, I have included it in my first-aid kit. Would this be good for last resort till help arrives? Or, could it be used for masking pain in order to get off the trail? I see that it's main side affect is drowsiness, which wouldnt be good when traversing a tricky trail with drop offs.

Is this a good choice? What is it's shelf life before it is no good? Any input or 2 cents worth would be appreciated.

SMSP
      KE4WUT -
      What a wonderfully informative article... Thanks for sharing....
      BOBINJAX -
      Another remedy for crabs is to just go to the movies, buy a bag of popcorn and a coke, sit down to watch the movie. After a while pour the popcorn into your pants.
      Wait a little longer and the crabs will leave to get a drink of water and you just change seats.
      mweinstone -
      kerosene is the cure for body lice.
      josefpeter -
      Medical Pearls of Wisdom are straight to the point one liners and short statements. Medical Pearls of Wisdom have been around for many years and they have served physicians well for many years. Unfortunately like Grandma's old pearls they get dated and they get lost.
      Medical Pearls of Wisdom.com is designed to serve as a a central repository for medical pearls of wisdom. It is specialty oriented.
      We regularly review and update the pearls to keep current and pertinent.
      To keep Medical Pearls of Wisom.com cutting edge, as new medical pearls get sent to us at submit pearl, the first physician (or person) submitting that pearl of wisdom will be credited with the submission (or remain anonymous if they so wish).

Thus it is hoped that Medical Pearls of Wisdom.com, a free medical resource, will grow into a vital medical resource that will serve all physicians well and impact positively on patient care around the world.
      See our sidebar for a Menu of medical specialties that will also link you to sub specialties.
      Kerosene -
      Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
      kerosene is the cure for body lice.
      May be true, as I have never had any lice-like acquaintances.