WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

• Random Images

• St Mary of the Assumption Church in Cheshire, MA. CLOSED

The St Mary of the Assumption Church Hostel in Cheshire, Massachusetts is no longer able to provide services for hikers in their parish hall due to programming demands and insurance requirements. Please pass this word along.
    Comments 8 Comments
      Cosmo -
      UPDATE: Local sources indicate that the church is still open to hikers, although the Diocese is still evaluating the program. We'll try and post any updates on the kiosks north (North Adams) and South (Dalton) if we get any news.

Cosmo
      solace -
      Father Raymond there was ALWAYS welcoming! I stayed with him a couple times. Things change, times change... who knows, but he & the Parish provided a wonderful service to all hikers. HATS OFF!
      Rain Man -
      Strange. I stayed there Saturday night along with 6 other hikers. They were gracious and welcoming.
      Kayjeckel -
      Awwww. I hope they are able to open doors again. On my thru hike last year, everyone there was so gracious and helpful.
      mml373 -
      Quote Originally Posted by solace View Post
      Father Raymond there was ALWAYS welcoming! I stayed with him a couple times. Things change, times change... who knows, but he & the Parish provided a wonderful service to all hikers. HATS OFF!
      I wonder if those of us Catholic hikers who wish to contribute to a Diocese fund for the church to remain open would be given the opportunity to do so.
      Cosmo -
      Quote Originally Posted by mml373 View Post
      I wonder if those of us Catholic hikers who wish to contribute to a Diocese fund for the church to remain open would be given the opportunity to do so.
      The church is not closing.
      The hostel (parish hall) is still open (so far).
      Hikers are not permitted to cook or bathe in the hall.

Cosmo
      SpongeBob -
      Stayed there a couple weeks ago. I was only hiker but the night before 10 stayed. Everyone at church was gracious. I believe they close for the winter at the end of October.
      Cosmo -
      An update on this old thread. The Parish Hall was closed to overnight hikers this past season (2019), hikers were permitted inside during the day, but had to camp outside.

Next season, the parish hall and the surrounding grounds will be closed to campers.

The AT Community group in town has worked to develop a new overnight site on Town land near the junction of the AT and the rail trail. It will be accessible on a short “blue blaze” leading a block west from this junction.

The site will be open for the 2020 season, and provide space for tenting, potable water, electricity for recharges, a picnic table and a bear box. Hoping to install a couple of options for hammock hangs as well. Probably some rules regarding alcohol and cannabis use on site and quiet time as well...More when we know more. The usual Guides will be updated for next season.

Cosmo
  • Newest Images

• Currently Active UsersCurrently Active Users

There are currently 791 users online. 7 members and 784 guests

Most users ever online was 12,213, 01-10-2024 at 01:07.

1. aclawrence,
    2. fudgefoot,
    3. gregoasswift6584,
    4. k_e_v,
    5. Seatbelt,
    6. smoothie25,
    7. swatsullivan