WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. If at First you Don't Succeed......

Washed out at this endeavor in 2010. Totally Trail spanked, and humbled, by the time I entered Damascus.

Shortly thereafter took the Greyhound "ride of shame" back home.

Up from the canvas now, significantly chagrined, but itchin' for another shot.

Good luck to everyone else already out there, and all those planning to head out soon.

Dr Evil.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Driving Vs. Hiking

One of my more memorable moments from last years sobo adventure occurred in some god-forsaken place in the hundred mile wilderness, while crossing yet another rickety, slippery, rotted log that the MATC considers bridges over mud pits– hikers refer to them "affectionately" as boardwalks. My hiking partner "Deadfall" had (as always) scampered across it sans even the slightest inkling of difficulty and as I gingerly teetered across, about half-way the thought crossed my mind, "We ...
  3. 3/27 Anxious to get going again...

My Gatlinburg sentence has been commuted by the National Park Service. The road and trail closures have been lifted. I will be heading up tomorrow morning with Tiki and Zoot to resume the hike. There is no way I can make the 67 miles to Hot Springs by Saturday but the 34 miles to Davenport Gap, where Jan can pick me up, should be doable.
    I spoke to a couple of hikers who came off the mountain today. They told me that there is 12 to 18 inches of snow on the trail but conditions are improving. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. 3/27 At 3:24PM National Park Service Opened road to Newfound Gap!!

Too late to get out today but will be on the trail first thing in the am. Hearing stories of 5 foot drifts so hoping they are just stories. Will feel great to be moving! Followed my son Kevin's advice and had lunch at the Mellow Mushroom in town. Great Pizza and beer, chain - had gone to the one in Tampa before - but really good food and beer selection. Will be packing up to get outta Dodge at sunrise and heading for Hot Springs NC
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. 3/27 More Still Stuck in Gatlinburg

The road to newfound gap is still closed due to snow and ice And despite what my brother in law John says there are only so many times you can walk through Gatlinburg. There are several hikers stranded here in town and the consensus is that given the hazardous trail conditions it is probably just as well to lie low for another day or two and play it safe. The waiting around is frustrating but the way I see it it's just another story line to my adventure
    Categories
    Uncategorized