WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Wow, a Blog

Never knew we had this here? Is this moderated and censored like the rest of the site? I wonder?:-?:-?:-?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. What ifs

A lot of things have been flooding through my mind over the last week. One of those things has been failure. I see not room for it but if for some reason I am not able to finish the trail I have come to this conclusion.

It is not whether you finish or only walk 600 miles. It is all about enjoying yourself and having a good time. If one does not make it to Katahdin from Springer, yet has a good time and walks away with good memories and good friends, you have accomplished something ...
    Categories
    2010 Pre Hike blogs
  3. More memory cards

I received my last order from newegg.com yesterday. I picked up two more 8gb memory cards. That gives me a total of 8 cards now. With each being 8gb. That should be plenty enough for my camera. I also picked up a four port usb wall plug for charging my camera or any other devices when I get to a town.

I also place an order yesterday for a ccf pad to place under my sleeping back in my hammock. I will be using a down under quilt under my hammock on the outside but it only covers the torso. ...
    Categories
    2010 Pre Hike blogs
  4. On tenting

I scratched this down on a notepad in my tent when I couldn't sleep late last spring near Chimney Rocks in PA. I guess it's kind of an essay...

What a secure, serene feeling it is to be alone in a one-man tent in the back country at night.

The monotonous, droning insects completely disinterested in your presence, save for the wayward firefly that mindlessly collides with the rain fly before crash landing, or the spider that makes its way in during a vestibule breach ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Hair length

Had something interesting happen to me at work the other day, I was told that my hair was long enough where I now needed to where it up. If is just starting to touch my shoulders. I knew this was coming and was prepared for it. I had one of my hiking buffs stowed away in my tool box for this day. I chuckled when they told me. I don’t think they realized that I was not going to cut my hair.

I normally do not let my hair grow. I usually keep it just over the ears or shorter. I started ...
    Categories
    2010 Pre Hike blogs