WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Cold weather gear pickup

APRIL 2016, START HARPERS FERRY TO MAINE WHAT WOULD BE A GOOD PICK-UP LOCATION FOR MY COLD WEATHER GEAR????????????????
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Guidebooks arrived, reading through them now

My AT guidebooks arrived just before Christmas, and I am reading through them now. Occasionally I am stopping and going to my 1990 trail log to read about a shelter or location. Many of the places I stayed at in 1990 are no longer there, and there are many new places listed in the guidebook.

My next step is going to be going back through he guidebooks and marking all water, shelter, and other important locations with a highlighter. I found this very useful last time.

Can't ...
    Tags: guidebooks Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Travis McGee, John Muir, and me, still in Cedar Key 3

I just posted in the Florida Trail and the AT meet up site for a partner to do hiking and cycling trips with during the week. From the middle of January to the middle of March when, I plan to hit the Trail, I want to be in the woods somewhere training at least two to three day a week. There are so many opportunities near here it will be a shame not to take advantage of the cooler temps to train. I'm even hoping for the rare cold snap too that will help me dial in my cold weather gear.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Travis McGee, John Muir, and me, still in Cedar Key 2

On second thought jumping over the back fence might not be the best idea. It would put me in the Gulf of Mexico and I'd have to swim to the Canal bridge just to head out the same way John Muir came in. I am giving second thoughts to my route too. Two thoughts keep revolving around in my mind. First, walking north for a southerner is a bit counter intuitive. I'd rather be headed home and looking at the map it's down hill all the way. Secondly, I want to miss the madness I perceive at Springer ...

Updated 12-25-2015 at 09:41 by CedarKeyHiker

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Travis McGee, John Muir, and me, still in Cedar Key

The often mentioned quote from John Muir "throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and hop over the back fence" resonates here in Cedar Key. Many have heard of Muir's thousand mile walk to the sea but few know it ended on our small island on Florida's west coast. Muir spent some time here recuperating from malaria before moving on to California. He's not the only one to find our secluded piece of paradise. Jimmy Buffett mentioned Cedar Key in his song "Incommunicado" ...

Updated 12-24-2015 at 17:11 by CedarKeyHiker

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 95 of 596 FirstFirst ... 45 85 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 105 145 195 595 ... LastLast