WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. First Backpacking Experience

I'm not sure where I became interested in backpacking. I guess I got a wild hair. Nobody I knew did this. I've just always loved the woods, and this was the best thing I could come up with for full immersion if you will. It's a little crazy, and that's my thing. It only took so long to act on because I had no idea where to start. There are no long distance trails where I grew up in East Texas. I've visited numerous state and national parks where I've done day hiking but never with weight. The idea ...

Updated 10-27-2016 at 15:13 by JessNicole3608

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Year 7 Section Hike Complete - Va, WVa, Md, PA

Completed my seventh year of section hiking this past July 5-22 - Here is a link to my journal.

http://tbmmoe.blogspot.com/p/at-year-7.html
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Norovirus can be a concern

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    Norovirus can be a concern on the Appalachian Trail or in crowded overnight facilities frequented by hikers near the A.T.

Typically norovirus occurs only when and where there is very heavy overnight hiker traffic with poor hygiene and inadequate Leave No Trace practices being employed.

Outbreaks of norovirus, or ("stomach bug" when not confirmed) have been reported on the Appalachian Trail in recent years, disproportionately occuring in the northbound thru-hiker
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Leaf looiing

Doing a fall hike at the end of the month on AT southern section. Best trail for leaf looking?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Appalachian Trail - Shenandoah National Park - Skyland to Rock Springs

It’s September 24th, National Public Lands Day AND Family Hiking Day. We decided to go to Shenandoah National Park to complete another tiny section of the Appalachian Trail. We entered the park at Thornton Gap and found that park entrance was FREE for this excellent day!! That saved us $20 for the vehicle. We quickly filled out a Backcountry Camping Permit and were on our way to the parking area at Little Stony Man, right next to Skyland. We ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 58 of 596 FirstFirst ... 8 48 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 68 108 158 558 ... LastLast