WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Random First Thoughts By Me

I have thought about hiking on the AT for about two or so years now. I have the time and to a point the money, so why not. Not sure about a thru hike, so for now I'm planning to do a week, maybe more or maybe less. I'll start at Amicalola Falls with no plan on distance. Like I said, I plan to hike for a week or seven days, maybe more, maybe less. Currently, my start date is 30 April 2016. I live in Pensacola, Florida with my wife and we are both retired. I'm 53 years old. We only have one car, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. How Big of an Issue is Lyme Disease Today on the AT

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    Really? I am a vet.

There is "no way" I could get the VA to hand out antibiotics, and my private MD would never do it either.

The fact is, hikers are atypical for the amount of exposure to ticks and thru-hikers more atypical.

I would say that increases your chance of getting an infected tick and that statistic would be more than a random chance of death by car accident, much more so, of injury by car accident, because of the sample size: nearly every
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Its Official! and a Brief introduction

Today I told my boss about my plans to hike the AT in its entirety. I don't know what I really expected but things didn't go as well as I had hoped or as bad as I feared. He was more supportive than I expected while still trying to convince me to put it off a few more years. I am holding onto the part where he said "if it is something you want, then you HAVE to do it." He was referring to the future but April IS the future.

Any way I AM doing this! I told myself a couple years ...

Updated 12-03-2015 at 15:43 by jbmundy87

Categories
    AT Thru
  4. Preparation for 2016 Walk

I read so many journals a couple of years ago and spent hours reading here as well as reading my books about hiking the AT, but I had to start focusing on my job and my family. Now I feel almost like I am starting over. It seems as though the AT is no longer the AT I have read about. I hope all the negative hype I am now seeing is an exaggeration.
    In any case, the time has come. We decided to do it a year early, thinking that we will be lucky to be able to complete the walk at our age ...

Updated 12-03-2015 at 00:21 by The Wanna Bs (misspelled word)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. I may have scared myself a bit

Maybe I need to stop reading everyone else's blogs and posts and comments, because they make it seem as though this is a VERY EXPENSIVE endeavor and I'll never be able to afford to do it.

I need to remind myself that I'm only planning on doing a small section. That I don't need top-of-the-line gear, especially if it turns out that I hate it (doubtful). I need to remind myself that I can MAKE a lot of the things I'll need -- I have a sewing machine, a ton of webbing and straps and clips ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 98 of 596 FirstFirst ... 48 88 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 108 148 198 ... LastLast