WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Life changing

I am glad to announce that I have every piece of gear to start my thru hike now. I am so ready for this. Tomorrow morning I am getting my AT tattoo and then off to get my haircut. I was told by a good friend that after these are done I will be a new man. We’ll see about that.

I have only two more weeks of work left. I am just over a month away from my start date.

I have been exchanging emails and chats with some other hikers that I am really looking forward ...

Updated 02-12-2010 at 18:57 by attroll

Categories
    2010 Pre Hike blogs
  2. 2010 Hiking Gear list for the AT

ULA Circuit= 2lb 2oz
    WM Alder MF= 2lb 2oz
    Gossamer SpinnTwinn= 9oz
    Ground Cloth +Stakes= 7oz
    Pack Liner Compactor Bag= 2oz
    Sleeping Pad= 8oz
    Total=5lbs 12oz
    DIY Bug net= 15oz (pick up when needed)
    Black Diamond Trail Trekking Poles= 1lb 2oz (ducktape on both)
    Clothing:
    NF Filght Searies Wind Shirt= 3oz
    Columbia Fleece= 8oz (no zipper)
    WM Vest= 7oz
    Silk Cashmere Shirt= 9oz (for sleep)
    Terramar Leggins ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. The troubles of packing light.

Perhaps I can blame the Army, but it was in my nature even before to take more than I needed more often than not. Lately I've been working on a packing list for long distance hikes (3 weeks or more) and I can't seem to get my total weight (from base layer out to pack) under 72 pounds. That doesn't seem like that much to me now, since it's pretty common for me to carry as much as 80-90 pounds for my miscellaneous professional duties. But if I consider hiking 250, 500, or even 1000 miles, I could ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Walking

Walking
    A thing we were born not knowing, a thing that came to us as we grew, walking, a thing that we take for granted, a thing some cherish. Walking.... why not running? We do now, everyday we wake we run, not knowing why or that we are. running, a thing not known when done now, STOP, try..... too just STOP, see if that is a thing we can learn. a thing we can remember, never forget, stop.... a thing we can learn, a thing never to forget.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Moving along

Drama, drama, drama, I have a lot of that going on right now. I promise everyone and myself that it will not end my thru hike.

I have three days of vacation left at work. I took two of them next week at the end of the week. I scheduled an appointment next Friday morning to get an AT tattoo.

I am trying to get a haircut appointment next Friday afternoon also. Someone recommended to me that I should get the tattoo and haircut on the same day and I would be a new man. ...
    Categories
    2010 Pre Hike blogs