WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. golight??

The brand (golight) can anyone tell me what's good from them what's bad and looking for a good hardshell jacket for a thru hike any info will help thanks
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Do you need rain where you live? Part 2

Day 3 should have been an equally easy, ten-mile hike to Stony Brook Shelter. And, until the last hour, it was actually quite easy. When a sign at Chateuaguay Road stated I was a mere 4.4 miles to Stony Brook, I was feeling pretty good. When I got to a bridge and road intersection at the bottom of the hill where my map said I would find SB, I was feeling even better. When a sign just south of this bridge stated that I was 4.3 miles from Chateauguay, I was feeling REALLY good. After all, simple arithmetic ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Do you need rain where you live? - Part 1

Sometimes I wonder if I’m a weather shaman, able to bring rain to whatever part of The Trail I happen to walk on. Remember in April of this year, when I said that (near Harpers Ferry) I hiked in the rain for the first time? I’ve since made seven treks on the AT – and gotten rained on every trip! If your part of the country is in a drought, feel free to pay me to hike there, so that you’ll get a minimum of a centimeter of rain in a matter of days.

This trip was still another to Vermont ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Manchester to Bennington - Part 2

As usual with my trips to Vermont, the weather has been exactly what I did NOT want to experience – lots of humidity, grey, cloudy, gloomy, and rain that gets you wet but doesn’t clear out the humidity. It was thus with great relief that my hike to the top of Mount Stratton – with a former fire tower now usable as a great scene viewer – featured sunshine and blue skies. Indeed, I was even able to get some pretty good photos from the lookout:
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=57335 ...
  5. Planning my 2016 AT thru hike SOBO Katahdin to Springer Mtn

by , 09-20-2013 at 00:08 (Proximity to Shenandoah National Park 1-2 DEC 2012)
    Gear is good to go. Just planning my days and replenishment stops. I Plan on starting in May. I will be doing circuit hikes in the region over the next 2 years to prepare.
    Categories
    Uncategorized