WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Most Popular Journals

1. My thoughts on my resupply plans [PRE HIKE]

At this point I have decided not to have any planned food or mail drops for the entire thru hike. There are enough road crossings where I can hitch into towns and get my supplies. I do not want to have to depend on the post office and it hours for anything.

I will start out with a few mail drops at the beginning to see if I can get my wife involved in my thru hike and see if it will get here active and sharing in on the excitement of it. I was figuring to have two to test the waters ...
    Categories
    2010 Pre Hike blogs
  2. Heading to EMS to do some shopping [PRE HIKE]

I am going to head out to Eastern Mountain Sports this morning and look at backpacks. I love the backpack I have not but it is just not large enough to hold the cold weather gear that I will be starting with. I should rephrase that a little. I can fit all my cold weather gear in my current backpack but it is a very tight fit. I do want to have to struggle every morning in the cold to try and squeeze everything in the pack. I am going to try to find a bigger pack that I like that will fit everything ...
    Categories
    2010 Pre Hike blogs
  3. Pine Grove Furnace State Park to James Fry Shelter

Not seen very many posts on the journal lately - l continue to add miles to my journey, this time another 7.5 in southern PA. A little snow made for some moist feet. Day 2 was a bit frozen, glad I had my spikes.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Three Ridges Wilderness AT – Maupin Field Shelter Harpers Creek Shelter

This is an outstanding 14.5 mile loop hike that takes you from the parking at Reeds Gap South along the Appalachian Trail through the Three Ridges Wilderness and then back via the blue blazed Mau-Har Trail along Campbell Creek. The return via the Mau-Har Trail is very difficult at the top (North) end as you work your way back to the Maupin Field Shelter. Both the Maupin Field Shelter and the Harpers Creek Shelter have outstanding water and tent sites. ...
    Tags: 1'", 1ˤˢ Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Too muddy, too muggy, too buggy -- Part 3

As noted earlier, my goal of fifty miles in four days meant I would have to hike fifteen miles on two of these days, and ten miles on the other two. Since Day 1 had featured an exhausting fifteen miles, I decided to make Day 2 a much more modest ten miles. This meant a stop at Greenwall Shelter (GwS), with an outside chance of getting to the Minerva Hinchey Shelter (MHS). Because I planned today being almost a recovery day from yesterday’s exhausting hike, I allowed myself to make a “late” start ...

Updated 07-21-2013 at 23:39 by GoldenBear

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast