WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Most Popular Journals

1. Friday in Franklin NC

April 26 was my first big day 11 miles!! Crossed the GA-NC line around 4 and wanted a few more miles. Made it to muskrat shelter at8pm. Barely time to set up before dark. Lay there in twilight and heard a hoot owl fight. Struck me
    So funny I laughed out loud.
    April 27 thunderstorm atop standing Indian mtn. Too much rhododendron so I couldn't see lightning. Rats! But what a neat smell! Fresh rainy mountaintop- too bad you can't get a snapshot of that. Rain let up at 5:30 so I quickly ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Rainy in the Smokies - but at least no snow!!

April 26 -crossed from GA to NC. Passed friend Lefty and his dog Lucy at Bly Gap. Tood out "Good Feet" insoles at 3pm and feet felt WAY better. Got to Muskrat Shelter at8pm- RedRobin and Hydro were there. Got hammock set up by dark-thirty and there was a hoot owl argument nearby - made me laugh out loud...all alone in my hammock..people must have thought I was a loon - 11 Miles

April 27 - Long climb in rocky streambed -feet were KILLING me. Cool Thunderstorm atop Standing ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Back on the trail after an 18 year break.

Hi this is my first blog entry ever, anywhere. Like most people on this site I have dreamed of thru hiking the AT ever since I was a boy scout and learned there was a trail that spanned georgia to Maine. Of course life got in the way but now I find myself sans house, wife,dog,car payment and rent. If I don't go now i never will. I am about as out of shape as a person can get. I smoke a pack a day and i am pushing 300 pounds. I had my doubts if i could make the most modest of hikes. I have been training ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. A pleasant walk occasionally interrupted - Part B

> [Upper Goose Ponds Cabin] was a a place I didn't want to leave -- which may explain the next part of the story.

I'm sure both of the people who actually read my journal entries have experienced paroxysms of anguish, waiting to hear what's "the next part of the story."
    It's actually pretty straightforward. On a day when I wanted to (again) get another early start to the day, I zipped off from UGPC with a burst of energy, both arms swinging along as they were both ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. A night in Franklin

Feeling 100% recovered from whatever hit me last week. It was good to get back on the trail and just started with a couple short 6-7 mile hikes to test the body. Since then it's been back to steady 12+ miles and not feeling bad at all. A few milestones along the way since last post. Of course I have finally crossed the N.C. border. Hit the 100 mile mark at the fire tower on Albert Mountain. That was definitly a different climb, very steep and at times more like rock climbing. It wasn't too long ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast