WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Johnny Walker R.E.D.

1. Noc noc

The N.O.C. is a rafting heaven. If you want your kids to learn how to raft, they have a camp and this is the place to do it. Had breakfast and hit the trail. It is 7 miles straight up all the way to Sassafrass Shelter. It also fills up because by the time you get there everyone is toast!

Woke up early the next day and got on the trail. It is 22 miles to Fontana Dam and I want to get there in two days. The trail isn't friendly, but I shoot for the 12 miles my first day. Jacobs' ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Happy Easter

If there were any bunnies around, they were frozen! I hikes 7.6 miles down Cold Spring Shelter. First one there. Blisters are working over time so I call it a day. From there till dark, it was like a bus unloading -- shelter filled up as well as every possible campsite.

Up early because it is 12 miles to the N.O.C. Downhill all the way! But a brutal downhill and I make it and it is the most beautiful spot I have seen so far on the AT. Hostels are full, but I get a bed at a ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Ron's Haven

Up early and hiked 3.5 miles to Rock Gap just as Ron Haven from Franklin, NC pulls in with his free shuttle. A real character. He shuttles hikers, gives them info., works with churches to provide free breakfast to hikers, and gives you a decent room at a decent price...out of the kindness of his heart! A night's rest, shower, and laundry does a man good!

Left Franklin after a free pancake breakfast at the local Baptist Church. Met trail angels with candy and fruit. (About Trail ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Wet Cold Day

From Dicks Creek Gap, I hiked 11.5 miles. Took me from Georgia into North Carolina. The trail wasn't easy. The last 3 miles were a very tough climb! This took me to Muscrat Creek Shelter. I awoke without rain for one of the few times.

Hiked 9.3 miles to Beach Gap and attended to my duct-taped toes. I awoke to no rain, again. That didn't last long, however, and it rained and rained.

I hiked 11.8 miles to Long Branch Shelter, one of the newer and nicest shelters ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Tray Mountain - Dicks Gap

Cold and rainy night at Tray Mountain. Decided to stay in a shelter, rather than tenting, for the first time since I started the trail. It was a freezing, wind-driven, rain. Lightening eventually forced some tenters to run for the shelter,too, so the shelter ended up being packed. Side note: A strap on my backpack has broken so I've been improvising until I get to an outfitter.

Cold, rainy, and foggy morn lasted till evening so decided to hit the Georgia hostel at the top of ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast