View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Halfway there after two more days of ultimate slackpacking!

The most recent statement on the length of the A.T.
    http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about-the-trail
    gives an answer of 2180 miles.
    This means that section hikers such as myself have passed the half-way point once they have hiked 1090 miles. After my most recent multi-day hike, I calculated my total miles covered as 1081.8 -- meaning I needed just over eight miles to get to that half-way point.

Due to my (basically successful) effort to minimize difficult hiking ...

Updated 10-16-2014 at 10:19 by GoldenBear

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Entire thru-hike with no blisters. One thru-hiker's methods.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    I walked the AT in 2013 & only had one blister (right heel two days after replacing shoes). I used trail running shoes (Brooks Cascadias; loose fit), merino wool socks (REI & Darn Tough), Dirty Girl Gaiters, & BlisterShield foot powder (works great). Typically, I try to air out my feet often. On the AT, I was wet so much I didn't bother after a while. I made sure I aired out my feet @ camp w/ no socks & my Crocs (assuming it wasn't freezing).

As a general rule,
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. cant wait

i cant wait to start my trip. the at will be a awesome time i look forward to meeting new hikers and trail creatures
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Ride ????

Need a ride, to or from your hiking trail ? Any where in Vermont, I will pick you up and bring you where you want to go. It will save you having to figure out where to drop a 2nd car or even use a car. Must charge by the mile or by the hour, but will be very reasonable. Also, as I have already posted, you can leave your car at our house and I will give you a ride to and from your hike. We live in southern VT 10 minutes from the LT/AT near 140 in Wallingford, VT. Thanks for your time, Mike G.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Pasta Sides

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
    I do quite a bit of "freezer bag cooking" and have used various brands. The key is to get freezer bags and not storage bags. Quart-sized bags work well. Ziploc sells some now that have flat bottoms.

Trailcooking has some information about the safety aspect.

My favorite is "Thanksgiving dinner" - some instant mashed potatoes, instant gravy, instant stuffing, and some canned meat. For weekend trips I will prep the ziploc bags ahead of time (adding all
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 100 of 565 FirstFirst ... 50 90 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 110 150 200 ... LastLast