View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Second Prep Hike

Went back out to the UWF Trails on Thursday and did 12.72 miles in 4 hours. Total prep miles: 22.99. Ditched the Salomans and wore my Brooks Pureflows instead. Much better comfort wise, and my feet didn't hurt afterwards.

Using my IPhone again, this time I turned on the airplane mode, still ran the Endomondo app and went from 97% charged to 71% charged. Plan to buy and carry a portable charger.

Bought my first piece of equipment; an REI Flash 45 backpack. It's a large ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. First Prep Hike

Yesterday I did 10.27 miles in 3 hours 28 minutes at the UWF Trail here in Pensacola. This was my first hike in preparation for the AT trip, and there will be plenty more. Wore some old Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultras that I've had for a few years and the soles are coming off. Will need to replace them. Feet were fine until the 9 mile mark when my toes started aching. Afterwards the ball of my feet also ached.

Carried my IPhone 6 and while running the Endomondo app and checking FB several ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. 5 days backpacking in Shenadoah: what would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    Disclaimer: I do not know Distances for this Hike but it could be pieced together with a Map

I think you can link together these highlights using various trails:

Start at Old Rag Parking area, hike Ridge Trail to Old Rag Summit, Continue on Berry Hollow Fire Road to White Oak Canyon Parking, take White Oak Canyon Trail to Lower and Upper white Oak Canyon Falls, Continue to Skyline Drive Day 1

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/show...-you-recommend
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. 5 days backpacking in Shenadoah: what would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    Disclaimer: I do not know Distances for this Hike but it could be pieced together with a Map

I think you can link together these highlights using various trails:

Start at Old Rag Parking area, hike Ridge Trail to Old Rag Summit, Continue on Berry Hollow Fire Road to White Oak Canyon Parking, take White Oak Canyon Trail to Lower and Upper white Oak Canyon Falls, Continue to Skyline Drive Day 1

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/show...-you-recommend
    Tags: snp Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Stealth Camping

Quote Originally Posted by Tron-Life View Post
    Before entering a National Forest, Wilderness Area or new state, there is usually a covered bulletin board that has the local regulations and other helpful information.

As far as picking a spot, I think Another Kevin's 5 Ws guidelines are great but I wanted to add a thing or two.

I try not to camp near water if I can help it. Starting at around 5 or so, or anytime I'm thinking of stopping, I look around and see where I am. Am I up high on a windy ridge? If so, I look
    Tags: camping spot Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 52 of 552 FirstFirst ... 2 42 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 62 102 152 ... LastLast