View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. WordPress Blog vs. WhiteBlaze

I activated this journal on 14 March 2016 and have posted but one blog since - a re-post of another so it would be handy. In the meantime I developed a plan to depart Springer in Feb 2017, and am confident it is workable - after all, I had adhered to my project management methodology. Triple constraints, etc., etc. And thanks to scores of folks with great ideas and to the Conservancy for its contributions. I am set.

Well, I thought I was set until Dave, a friend that Scamper ...

Updated 11-22-2016 at 13:53 by MadRanger

Tags: 1'", 1ˤˢ Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Lewis Falls Loop Hike - Shenandoah National Park @ Big Meadows / Appalachian Trail

Continuing our journey south on the Appalachian Trail through Shenandoah National Park, we hiked between Big Meadows Campground and Rock Spring Hut and also extended a little south on a loop of the AT that went to Lewis Falls. This trail is a fairly steep 3.3 mile loop with just under half of it on the Appalachian Trail. This loop is definitely worth the walk. Lewis Falls is listed as an 81’ waterfall. It has a nice observation point that is not ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Teacher & Gumball

Gumball is my 11yr old great-nephew who has recently joined our household. He was intrigued by the stories of hiking the AT with Snacktime and wanted to give it a try. We've had several local jaunts and he seems to legitimately enjoy spending time in the woods. I was planning to start my very own section hike at Springer this fall, and told him he could join me if he was up to the challenge. In May he first set foot on the AT with a leisurely stroll along the Pochuck Boardwalk in NJ, and in June ...

Updated 11-09-2016 at 01:30 by Teacher & Snacktime

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. cleaning Sawyer Squeeze filter

Quote Originally Posted by -Rush- View Post
    If you've clogged the filter with debris and sediment, it helps to lightly tap the bottom of the filter against a rock or surface a few times before each backflush. You'd be surprised at how much debris will get flushed out that would otherwise still be in there.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Fist Solo Overnight

Just trying to think back on some recent-ish hikes to document before I forget a lot of the details. I am working on section hiking Georgia this year.

End of July 2016

I gathered up the courage to try a solo trip, in hopes that my fiancé at the time would join me on the weekend when he was off work. I drove the 3 hours or so North from Augusta to Blairsville, GA to pick up where my friend and I left off the previous month at Neel's Gap. It was particularly dry on this ...
    Tags: 1'", 1ˤˢ Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 12 of 552 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 62 112 512 ... LastLast