WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. no cook camp foods.

Quote Originally Posted by Coosa View Post
    Foods for NO COOK trail eating ...

I found this on the internet but have no URL

Food - Calories per ounce (28.35 grams)

Lard - 253
    Canola or Olive Oil - 240
    Mayonnaise - 200
    Brazil nuts - 185
    French fried onions - 180
    Fried pork rinds - 175
    Mixed nuts - 170
    Cashews (shelled) - 170
    Cocktail peanuts - 170
    Sunflower seeds (shelled) - 170
    Pringles - 170
    Peanut Butter - 166
    Almond Roca - 163
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. quick update on some major challenges

Hi all. More of a quick shout out then a full update. Tomorrow marks one month on the trail for me.

It appears that I have been traveling though some large challenges and that is much of the purpose of this note. At first it was very cold and snow. That was alleviated through becoming part of a group. Added to that was the high altitude which really effected me and limited my ability to recover from each days hiking.

The cold and most of the high altitude behind me the ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Made it to The NOC!

Every hill seems steeper and higher than the last and my body is asking me "what have I done to deserve this?"
    The descent into NOC was hard on the knees but fast. Gonna hole up in the hostel tonight and rest for the biggest climb yet, out of the NOC and into Fontana. I SHOULD have had my Fontana mail drop sent here because the resupply is bad and getting into Brison City is dicey.
    I keep hearing horror stories of a virus running amoke up the trail. Can only hope I can avoid ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. March 27th thru March 31st...

March 27, 2013 - March 28, 2013 Hot Springs, NC (Pisgah National Forest)
    There were still hikers that wanted to wait out the weather and stay in Gatlinburg until the Smokies reopened. This included the 5 original guys I had met the second day on the trail. I did not want to hike in 2 to 4 feet of snow so Wet Dog and I agreed that we would skip the 35 miles and move to Hot Springs. The plan was to come back after we got up to Main and get back down to Gatlinburg to make up the miles. He was ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Should have started in

by , 04-15-2013 at 09:29 (Fireweed - An Older Woman Who Hikes Solo and With Friends)
    Connectivity has been sparse. We abandoned Pennsylvania in Port Clinton, and after a daring mid day raid on the largest Cabella's in the US we headed to Maryland's northern border. We did the whole state (only 45+ miles) into Harper's Ferry and hiked in record breaking heat. PA was record breaking cold. been that kind of trip. So, here we are, nearing Damascus, VA where I left off last spring. It's raining and 75 so that's a good thing. John may be heading out after this Friday and I'll likely ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized