WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Fireweed - An Older Woman Who Hikes Solo and With Friends

Unforeseen consequences

Rate this Entry
Two days on the trail and each one a learning experience. Day one out of Delaware Water Gap was high overcast and cool. Perfect hiking weather. Doc, Seldom Seen and I headed out after hot apple pie and ice cream plus hot dogs. Yes, hot dogs…they come with the pie. So 1000 + elevation gain, snow patches, wind, sail planes, grouse and 7 miles put us at the shelter. Then the fun began.

It took three tries to set up the tarp and bridge hammock. The standard hammock is quite narrow at the attachment points. This means you can pull the tarp down close in poor weather. The bridge hammock has spreader bars and requires considerably more room if you don’t want to put a hole through your new cuben fiber tarp. The tarp and hammock performed as advertised and the under quilt made for toasty sleeping. Pitching the tarp about 6” higher than normal made it wide enough and weather tight, which was fortunate since we got strong winds and heavy rain as well as some snow showers.

In the morning Doc’s knee staged a successful rebellion and he was forced to return to Delaware Water Gap leaving us with extra food and much needed water. Seldom Seen and I continued on toward Wind Gap and beyond. What we found was the much discussed Pennsylvanian Rocks and no signs of water. We filled our bottles in Wind Gap and hiked another 3 miles to camp.

20 degree temps in the morning and no water convinced us that the better part of valor was to return to Wind Gap and consider our options. Later we heard the next shelter did have water but none of the springs between there and Leigh High Gap. But, the adventure will continue if after a night in town and a hope for warmer nighttime temps.

Things learned today. While I had played with my tarp and hammock this winter, I hadn't set them up together. I had expected to spend extra time, but three tries was surprise. Also, my feet are more tender than I'd expected. Perhaps heavier boots would have been a good idea although I did NJ & NY in the same footwear.

Ah well, hike and learn.

Keep walking.