WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

bgsnydermd

Roan Mountain, Hughes Gap to US 19E - My First Section Hike

Rate this Entry
**Im new to this site so please let me know if this story is inappropriate. I couldn't fit the whole thing so I linked to my external blog. Helpful feedback is appreciated!**

So although this could be considered a tiny section for most, this was my biggest trip to date. 21 tough miles from Hughes Gap to US 19E. But man, how rewarding! My friends and I (Sauce and Huh) drove in from Baltimore on Thursday night and stayed at Mountain Harbour Hostel. What a great place. Despite the reason loss in the family, everyone was very friendly and welcoming. The beds were comfy and the breakfast was AMAZING. Hands down, one of the best I have ever had, anywhere. I can't remember the woman's name, but whoever shuttled us to Hughes Gap was really nice.

We started our Friday at Hughes Gap and began the ascent up to Roan High Knob. With fresh legs, the climb wasn't too bad. After a little fog in the morning, the sun started peaking in and out of the trees which was nice. There was a short descent down to Ash Gap which was absolutely beautiful! A nice flat spot with tons of short grasses surrounding the trees. It was really nice, with High Knob being so close, it doesn't make a ton of sense to stay at Ash Gap, but the campsite there was very nice.

The climb got a little tougher as we made our way up to High Knob but the scenery was beautiful. The sun poured in through the pines and started burning off the fog which made for a nice light show. You could also start to appreciate the beauty of the surrounding landscape at this point. After poking out of the trees at Toll House Gap for a bit, we made our way up to High Knob Shelter to see what the highest shelter on the AT was all about! It was a nice place and we ran into a few thru Hikers including AK, who we would run into several more times along the way to Mountain Harbour.

We had a short lunch where I tried out a pocket Esbit stove for the first time. It was nice but I did not like how the fuel left a sticky residue on my pot which translated to sticky everything inside my cooking bag. I also realized that my planned hot lunches would be a challenge on the balds. Oh well, moving on!

After High Knob, we continued down the mountain toward Carvers Gap and the NC Border. Huh and Sauce hit high gear on the downhills where I switch to low gear. Watch those ankles and knees! So this was the first time where I was by myself for a bit. It was relaxing and peaceful. But I also missed the company of my companions. We met at Carvers Gap where the sun was really starting to warm up. A few pictures at the NC sign and a quick bathroom break, we started the climb up our first bald, Round Bald.

The winds really started to kick one we began the ascent. Here we ran into a lot of leisure hikers hoping to see the awesome views. I imagine this is the most beautiful part of the trail when everything is in bloom. I took a very quick break to catch my breath as a Dad and two younger songs crossed my path going back down the hill. "No Pain, No Gain!" one of the kids said to me. Thanks for the encouragement, lol. The winds were kicking but this was the first real overlook where we could see the surrounding ranges. It was a sight that you just don't get in Maryland. I have seen bigger ranges, but to see the Appalachians really flex their muscles was an awesome sight.

Down and quickly back up we hit the peak of Jane Bald at 5,794 feet. Again, great views. And here there was a rock with the AT symbol painted on it which was a great photo opp. We stayed here for a few minutes taking in the great views and snapping a few photos. I really enjoyed this section. The climbs weren't too tough but VERY rewarding.

At some point, we could see some rain coming in on the range to the south of us. This was going to be my first experience with rain. On past local trips, I would just cancel if it looked like rain. Because of the downhill, Sauce and Huh quickly pulled ahead of me, leaving me to fend for myself! Fortunately, we prepped our rain gear in advance. After noticing a few "pat pat pats" on the trees, the rain came in quickly. I tried speeding up trying to get to the Stan Murray Shelter as quickly as possible to avoid getting soaked. But eventually, I realized that I was staying dry thanks to my pack cover and rain jacket. Once i accepted it, I slowed down and realized that the rain was actually quite peaceful. I had to be a little more careful to avoid slipping in the mud, but it otherwise pretty nice. I noticed quite a few slipping footprints along my way. Definitely from Sauce or Huh since they seem to double their speed on downhills. I would continue to play it safe....

To finish the rest of the story, please check out my blog post on my website. I wanted to do it all on here but it was too long. Sorry about that. Just started the blog with this very post so please feel free to leave helpful feedback!

Comments