WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Recent Journals Posts

1. Sucker-punched AGAIN -- but I survived

On my last trek on The Trail -- which should have been a simple, 20-mile overnight -- I trusted the guide books that listed camping on Beautiful Spot GAP. On that one night out, I found no such camping areas on the GAP, at a time the wind was blowing hard and rain was threatening. So I just stealth camped, just off the trail, and got two hours of rain as I woke up.
    Yes, there WAS plenty of camping sites on Beauty Spot itself, but a bald like that is NOT where you want to camp when the winds ...
  2. High Point State Park – Pochuck Mountain Shelter – Swamp Boardwalk 1338.0 - 1358.7

This was originally planned as a hike where I meet up with fellow YouTuber Uncle Paul and do a bit of a collaboration. 2 days, 12 miles, 3 targets, in and out. There is always a risk of missing the rendezvous when trying to meet up on the trail with moving hikers. As fate would have it, schedules diverged and we were not able to meet up.
    What unfolded afterward I could only attribute to the Appalachian Trail evolving my sense of ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Maybe I actually DID need Guthook on this overnight!

For my first AT hike of this year I decided to do a wimpy, twenty-mile, one-night trek along a stretch that is a gap in my walks along The Trail: Iron Mountain Gap back to Uncle Johnny's. Since I accept the fact that I'm not going to hike significantly faster than a mile an hour nor much more than about ten miles in a day*, I looked for a place about half-way between these two spots. Both the Thru-Hikers' Companion and the 2018 edition of the AT Data Book state that Beauty Spot Gap has water and ...

Updated 06-20-2019 at 18:23 by GoldenBear

Categories
    Uncategorized