View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. The Hillbilly Hiker

The Hillbilly Hiker

Stinkiní of DEET and overworked feet in socks that ainít had a washin,í
    Iím hikiní a while for 2000 mile; itís nasty and tough Ė I ainít joshiní.
    The skeeters and bugs and them bears like the rugs and small critters that run through the lean-to,
    the heat, cold and rain and the aches and the pain make me cuss when I donít even mean to.
    But I ainít complaininí, just frankly explaininí how this ainít the fun I was thinkiní,
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Trail Names

Data, Rad, Moon Shine, Machine and Viking. Just a few of the "Names" I have met on my short walks on the A.T. I have met many more hikers, but I forget their names sometimes or they are really focus and just say, "Hi", which I understand completely. Stay strong, 1 step at a time. MG up in VT. Catch ya later.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Appalachian Trail Adventures: Hikes on the AT and other trails.

I did two more hikes this past month: A section hike of the AT from Pearisburg, VA to Salem, VA. I had intended t go much farther, but unfortunately got sick and needed to come off the trail. After recovering a few days, I did a four day section on The Foothills Trail near my home in South Carolina. There are two new pages about these hikes on my blog.

www.tbmmoe.BlogSpot.com
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Trail Talk

I have been meeting a few hikers, as I take my short walks on the AT/LT. Some hikers stop and visit for a couple of minutes, others seem to be all business and just say "Hi". I ask, are you thru- hiking and most say yes or "Doing the LT". Whatever hike they are doing, I envy and respect their efforts and determination. I have been in the woods since I was about 10 years old, hunting with my father. I still go hunting, or I as I like to say, "take my rifle for a walk". ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. 10 Weird Things Hiking the AT Does to Your Mind, Body, & Spirit....

1) I have to pull over when I'm driving past a mountain to keep from having an accident, since my mind is immediately shanghaied into imagining exactly how I would navigate the ridge....

2) I can't look at a photo or postcard of beautiful, natural places without longing to be there.

3) I seek out total strangers who could possibly understand this burgeoning obsession, because no one I know has a clue.

4) I carefully weigh my clothing/footwear and gear
    Categories
    Uncategorized