WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Recent Journals Posts

1. Day 46: Cold, Wet and Windy

Today was my worst day on trail so far. It started off well. Woke up in the shelter warm and dry after a night of rain. The rain stopped by the time we got moving, but it was still cloudy with the wind causing water to fall from the trees. Shortly after we got started it started to hail. It was not fun getting smacked in the face with pebble sized ice. Stopping and resting was not an option because the only thing keeping me warm from the wind was moving. Not Sure decided to get off at Iron Mountain ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Day 45: Cautious Day

Today is an easy day. Less than 9 miles to Cherry Gap Shelter. We are still testing out Not Sure’s heel. Good thing we are. After about 5 miles his knee started to really hurt. There were no roads between then and the shelter, so he decided to push to the shelter and then get picked up at Iron Mountain Road which is 3 miles farther tomorrow morning. 2 knees and I plan to continue on. Hopefully, Not Sure can rejoin us farther down the trail. There was a sick hiker tenting near the shelter. He probably ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Day 44: Slack Pack SOBO

To test out Not Sure’s foot we slack packed ~9 miles from Indian Grave Gap back to Erwin. It was nice to go SOBO. One, because it was downhill. Knees were KT taped and held up well. Two, we got to see a lot more hikers. We counted 65+ thru hikers which is crazy. Going into town and the weather creates a bubble, but it’s far more than I thought. Saw some hikers I hadn’t seen in awhile. Beast, Tennessee, Lost and Found, Drizzle. It was nice to catch up. Made it back into Erwin just in time to miss ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Day 43: 2nd Consecutive Zero Day

This is the first time I have taken a 2nd zero day. I don’t mind it, especially on a rainy day. Took it easy. Went to Walmart for resupply and to buy some new hiking pants. They got another hole, so they need to be replaced. My shuttle driver did warn me that Norovirus is going around the trail. Apparently it happens every year around this time. Last thing I want to do is get sick on trail.
    Categories
    Uncategorized