WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Most Popular Journals

1. Found a peahen, found a peahen!

In Sept of 2009 I did a dayhike from Newfound Gap to Charlie's Bunyan (8 miles round trip). As I passed Icewater Spring Shelter 3-miles in, I saw a large bird walking around in the clearing. I didn't try to get close, and I was in a hurry to finish my hike before it got dark, so I went on. On the way back, I stopped for a few minutes, got much closer and identified it as a peahen. Nope, not a wild turkey or a grouse, but a peahen, a domesticated animal who had no business in the middle of the ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. High Point down to Delaware Water Gap - Part 1

My previous day hikes, both on my own and with help from Shuttle, had left a gap between Highway 23 in High Point State Park and the town of Delaware Water Gap. I thus resolved to find a way to do these 41 (or so) miles and finish off the Trail within New Jersey. My first plan was to pay an ungodly sum to get shuttled from DWG to HP, but then stumbled on the fact that I can ride mass transit not only to DWG, but to the town of Port Jervis -- less than five miles from where I wanted to start my hike. ...

Updated 06-16-2013 at 14:38 by GoldenBear

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. NOAA high elevation forecasts

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    In the Northeast, the NOAA "higher summits" forecasts are invaluable, because they tell you what to expect in the mountains, rather than in the towns. Ones pertinent to the A-T include:

Caribou, ME http://www.nws.noaa.gov/view/validPr...=REC&node=KCAR Katahdin, Cadillac, Moosehead Lake

Updated 04-03-2016 at 09:45 by Another Kevin (Update obsolete links)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. NO HIKER LEFT BEHIND....Part Two

No Hiker Left Behind....Part Two

“What a beautiful day” Teacher started to say, as she reached out and hoisted her pack.
    Once it was lifted she squirmed and she shifted until it set onto her back.
    The pack weight was more than she'd dealt with before. “It's awfully heavy” she sighed.
    (Last night she'd been packing and sleep she was lacking and thus it had never been tried.)

But Snacktime whose pack was secure on his back was already off at

Updated 05-27-2014 at 16:41 by Teacher & Snacktime

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. T minus 30 hours

Last "regular" morning. Tomorrow afternoon I start my public transportation journey to GA. Since I committed myself to this start date have only been able to get 4 to 5 hours of sleep a night. Been waking up at 3:00 to 4:00AM and the mind starts up with the planning/preparations and it's pointless trying to go back to sleep. Have been reading everything I can here at WB and anywhere else trying to learn from others. I know my pack is to heavy, but refuse to remove anything until I start ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast