WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Recent Journals Posts

1. Friday, June 4, 2021, 7 am

I did a nero (low mileage day) yesterday in order to resupply in Waynesboro, VA. My mileage yesterday was 5 miles. My mileage the day before was 15.8, which was my largest mileage since my shin splint injury. My shin feels a little sore at times but no sharp pain. I am now at mile 864.

They say "the Trail provides." Well the Trail provided me with a physical therapist earlier this week. Her name is Little Bird, who is walking with her boyfriend, Two Tone. Though I have received ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 6:40 am

I stayed last night at the Priest Shelter at mile 829.7. I was the only one sleeping inside the shelter though there were a couple of hikers who tent camped nearby. Many hikers came through this shelter to get water, only to move up the trail to sleep at the cliffs a quarter mile away. They hope to watch the sunset and sunrise. I didn't know any of them, except for one. I am traveling in a different bubble. A bubble is a glut of hikers traveling in the same time frame. I have been moving in and ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Friday, May 28, 2021, 9:10 am

Theresa is picking me up between noon and 12:30 pm today at Stanimals Hostel in Glasgow, VA, where I have stayed since Monday May 24th. Stanimals has been a great place to stay. It is managed by Charlie, who is very organized and puts in long hours. He is at the hostel before 6 am and there until after 10 pm on some nights. He is the shuttle organizer, breakfast cook, evening dessert maker, dryer mechanic, accountant, standup comic and all around good guy. I've enjoyed being around him. Just as ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 4:40 pm

I came off the trail last evening, lame with a reoccurrence of a shin splint injury that I developed on May 18th after a brutal day on the trail hiking the Dragon's Tooth area. Actually, it was three very challenging days in a row, with climbs and a rocky trail to contend with. Coming down the mountain from Dragon's Tooth we had to climb down several walls that were nearly straight down. We threw our trekking poles down the walls so we could us both our hands to climb down. Challenging and hairy! ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Saturday, May 15, 2021, 6:25 pm

I am sitting at the Warspur Shelter at mile 669.4. It is my ninth day in a row hiking without a zero. Over the course of those 9 days I have covered 202.4 miles in Virginia and will soon reach the 1/2 way point for this state, the longest on the trail.

My stay at Woodshole Hostel was really great. They are a self sustaining operation growing many of the vegetables in their garden on the property. The bread they made was outstanding. They served meals in communal fashion, have a circle ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast