WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

2012 Gluten Free and Dairy Free AT Thru-Hike

I am planning a 2012 thru hike. Everyone says that you have to hike your own hike, and I think that sums up my proposed adventure. I will be doing it without gluten or casein (the protein in dairy), aka GF/CF, also known as the Paleo diet.

For those not quite sure what this means, it is basically no foods with wheat, barley or rye, and no dairy products except for ghee, where the casein has been removed. That is a simplistic explanation, since I also worry about cross contamination. And suffer if I make a mistake.

Most of the traditions are out, such as all you can eat pizza, pancakes, biscuits, and ice cream from milk. Although coconut milk ice cream works - anybody ever seen any on the trail?

Food can be labeled "Gluten Free" if it has no more than 20 ppm (parts per million), but unfortunately I am sensitive to 5 ppm, so commercially available GF is generally not an option. My biggest challenge will be food. I hope to be able to share my plans with others in the hopes that they can add their knowledge and to inspire others.

My goal is to plan and execute a 2012 thru-hike on a diet of minimally processed, real food.

oddbird has no blog entries to display.