WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Dirk's Rambles

Welcome to my blog

1. Tuesday, May 4, 2021, 6:45 pm

I woke up at 5:30 am (May 3rd) to the clopping of ponies' hooves. Very shortly after that I was able to make out in the dark a pony approaching the shelter. I announced to the shelter the ponies were there. Immediately , four people jumped to their feet with their cell phones to take pictures.

Eventually, six ponies showed up in short order. One was a colt not more than a couple of weeks old. Everyone was excited to see them. Selfies and other types of pictures were being taken. One ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Sunday, May 2, 2021, 7:55 pm

Got an early start this morning, hitting the trail at 7:30 am. Was only doing 12.4 miles today, one of my lesser days lately. Did well for the first hour and a half until I hit Whitetop Mountain. The trail was covered with rocks, both loose and protruding. Plus it was about 2,000 feet of "up." I had to go slow.

There were two trail magics today, my first since I've been back on the trail. One was at Whitetop Mountain. A couple who hiked last year had cookies, fruit, water, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. May 1, 2021, 8:05 pm

Left Crazy Larry's Hostel this morning at about 8:25 am. My stay at his hostel was very good. He treated me and the other guests very well. He has a mixed reputation but I found him to be hard working and eager to make people happy. He cooked breakfast for us each of the two mornings that I stayed. morning I wasn't hungry at all and didn't eat lunch until 1 pm.

The hike today was 16 miles. There were a couple of relatively small mountains but nothing serious. We parelelled a bike ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized