WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Troll's 2010 AT Journal

1. Solio Hybrid 1000 Solar Charger review [PRE HIKE]

I recently purchased the Solio Hybrid 1000 Solar Charger. My purchase price was $49.95. I bought this for the purpose of recharging some of my electronics items during my thru hike in 2010. These items included my cell phone and two other items.

I plugged the Solio Hybrid 1000 into my USB port on my computer as the instruction stated and let the unit fully recharge. I waited until my cell phone got low and then plugged the unit into my cell phone and initiated the recharge process. ...
    Categories
    2010 Pre Hike blogs
  2. My thoughts on my resupply plans [PRE HIKE]

At this point I have decided not to have any planned food or mail drops for the entire thru hike. There are enough road crossings where I can hitch into towns and get my supplies. I do not want to have to depend on the post office and it hours for anything.

I will start out with a few mail drops at the beginning to see if I can get my wife involved in my thru hike and see if it will get here active and sharing in on the excitement of it. I was figuring to have two to test the waters ...
    Categories
    2010 Pre Hike blogs
  3. Worries and concerns [PRE HIKE]

There are not to many worries and concerns that I have that known serious issues on the Appalachian Trail. I will voice a few concerns tha I have though.

Even though I have talked to literally hundreds of hikers that have thru hiked in the past and they assured me that the first two are nothing to worry about. I still have some other concerns.

1. Rattle snakes. Hiker says they are rarely ever seen and when they are seen they are out in the sun sunning themselves and nothing ...
    Categories
    2010 Pre Hike blogs
  4. Finances and bills [PRE HIKE]

Finances and bills for the thru hike were one of the biggest obsticals. I assured the funding for my hike fives years ago when I made a monthly direct deposit into a separate savings account. I never touch the money that was put into that account. The funding for the hike is secure.

Bills are another obstical that need to be tackled and the best way for me to do that was to get all my loans paid off. All loans were paid off this past summer. The only loan left is my mortgage. My military ...
    Categories
    2010 Pre Hike blogs
  5. Trail name [PRE HIKE]

When I retired from the Navy and got involved in the AT community I had not received a trail name. On one of my hiking trips I was sitting at a shelter one evening and talking to some thru hikers about how they got there trail name. One was retired Air Force. He looked at me and said you should be called Navy. They called me Navy for the remainder of the night and into the next morning. When we departed our ways I was walking with my friend and told him that I do not want to have the trail name ...
    Categories
    2010 Pre Hike blogs
Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30 36 37 38 39 40