WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

CedarKeyHiker

1. Travis McGee, John Muir, and me, still in Cedar Key 7

My pal Lefty ain't no rookie. He literally, has been there and done that all over the world. In fact, I can sit and listen to him tell stories of the people he's known and the places he's been for hours. He's that guy you want around when things start to go south and you need a little back up. We have been in some tight spots together and he's never let me down. When I started thinking of hiking from Springer Mountain to Harpers Ferry he was the only person I asked to join me. Other than him, I ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Travis McGee, John Muir, and me, still in Cedar Key 6

The weather report this morning when we rose at 5:00 am called for 46 cool degrees. This is fairly typical this time of year in north coastal Florida. It's also a welcomed change from the warm, humid mornings we have been dealing with. Long pants made our five mile walk around the island a little more comfortable but as our cores heated up and we began to feel overdressed. In Florida the tenacity of a particular winter depends on how many times it is necessary to wear long pants. They'll be ...

Updated 01-04-2016 at 09:47 by CedarKeyHiker

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Travis McGee, John Muir, and me, still in Cedar Key 5

It's New Year's Eve December 31, 2015...I am going to make one resolution for 2016 that I will do my best to follow through with.

" Blow up your TV throw away your paper
    Go to the country, build you a home
    Plant a little garden, eat a lot of peaches
    Try to find Jesus on your own..."

Lately. I had those words of the John Prine song "Spanish Pipedream" on my mind. The song about a soldier who meets a topless dancer on his way to Canada ...

Updated 12-31-2015 at 10:40 by CedarKeyHiker

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Travis McGee, John Muir, and me, still in Cedar Key 4

When John Muir made his way to Cedar Key he was overwhelmed by the the heat and humidity. The abundant mosquitoes gave him malaria which nearly ended his life. Crumpled in a doorway delirious with fever he was mistaken for a homeless, drunkard. The night watchman who found him ignored his pleas for help and abandoned him near death. Fortunately, Muir had made the acquaintance of a kindly sawmill owner named Hodgson who, after hearing of Muir in need went to his aid. Hence, in 1867 Hodgson became ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Travis McGee, John Muir, and me, still in Cedar Key 3

I just posted in the Florida Trail and the AT meet up site for a partner to do hiking and cycling trips with during the week. From the middle of January to the middle of March when, I plan to hit the Trail, I want to be in the woods somewhere training at least two to three day a week. There are so many opportunities near here it will be a shame not to take advantage of the cooler temps to train. I'm even hoping for the rare cold snap too that will help me dial in my cold weather gear.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast