WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Kaptainkriz

1. Section Hike - Ashby Gap to Manassas Gap - Dick's Dome and Whiskey Hollow Shelters

Continuing my section hike of the Appalachian Trail Southbound, I decided to pick up where I left off at the parking at 601 near I50 and continue through Sky Meadows State Park to Dick’s Dome Shelter, the new Whiskey Hollow Shelter at the same location, and through to Manassas Gap Shelter. This leaves a small section between Jim and Molly Denton and the roadside parking at US 522 left for me to complete in this area. The trail up to Sky Meadows, ...
  2. Testing my "Chill Skills" as I continue to work my sections south.

This past weekend I decided to try out some of my gear and techniques for cold weather hiking while grabbing another few miles in my sectioning southbound. The temps were forecast to be in the teens and did not disappoint! I parked at the I-66 trail-head parking at Manassas Gap and hiked south an easy 3 miles to the Jim and Molly Denton Shelter. The I-66 parking is very nice with a great trail head on the AT. I brought 2 sleeping pads with me. ...
  3. Lewis Falls Loop Hike - Shenandoah National Park @ Big Meadows / Appalachian Trail

Continuing our journey south on the Appalachian Trail through Shenandoah National Park, we hiked between Big Meadows Campground and Rock Spring Hut and also extended a little south on a loop of the AT that went to Lewis Falls. This trail is a fairly steep 3.3 mile loop with just under half of it on the Appalachian Trail. This loop is definitely worth the walk. Lewis Falls is listed as an 81’ waterfall. It has a nice observation point that is not ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. West Virginia AT Complete!

After completing the Maryland portion of the Appalachian Trail, I decided to go ahead and finish off West Virginia. I thought I was going to do it over three days, staying at the David Lesser Shelter and then further South at one of the campsites on the way to Snickers Gap. I got a very late start on Saturday, starting the hike after a great dinner at Harpers Ferry. I left at 6:15 PM from the Appalachian Trail Conservancy. It was dank and misty from
  5. Appalachian Trail - Shenandoah National Park - Skyland to Rock Springs

It’s September 24th, National Public Lands Day AND Family Hiking Day. We decided to go to Shenandoah National Park to complete another tiny section of the Appalachian Trail. We entered the park at Thornton Gap and found that park entrance was FREE for this excellent day!! That saved us $20 for the vehicle. We quickly filled out a Backcountry Camping Permit and were on our way to the parking area at Little Stony Man, right next to Skyland. We ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast