WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

ajcajonel

1. Adapting to Limitations

Right now, I'm 7 days away from my marriage date, and 69 days from my flight to the states. Preparation continues as planned - amassing grains, testing recipes, dehydrating fruits, exercising, testing gear.

One of my planning considerations is the state of my body. I had a rough and tumble autumn, the culmination of a pretty adventurous summer playing in the Alps. I trained up for a marathon in seven weeks, ran that marathon on 20 September, then, at the urging of a friend, ran a second ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Free at last!

For the past eight years, I have worn a military uniform, but come 1 May, I am a free man bound for Washington, DC - and believe me, I'm counting the days. On my back, I will carry the gear that I have researched and acquired over the past calendar year. Within days of my arrival, I will start my thru hike of the Appalachian Trail.

I had planned to begin a traditional thru-hike starting in February or March, but things in the Army never pan out as anticipated - consequently, this delay ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Map Man's Mean Miles/Day in a Visual - a benchmark for competition

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    I am pleased to report that Achilles summitted Katahdin yesterday, and my wife and I were fortunate enough to be able to join him. Here is the final chart. He was slowed down toward the end by injury and by tragedy, but he persevered. We are very proud of him.

Lastly, if anyone likes the chart and is interested, I would be happy to pass along the Excel spreadsheet I used to put it together.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Achilles AT Northbound Pace 20120629.jpg 
Views:	561 
Size:	239.4 KB 
ID:	30796
    Tags: planning Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized