WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Comments

Baxter SP doesn't open until at least May 15th. It may not be possible to climb Kathadin until later still depending on conditions. Maine has gotten a LOTof snow this season, so it might be later. Typcially it is not possible (or safe) to start a SOBO until at least June 1st. So, if you don't start in April, you'll have to wait until June and then you won't finish until December. Not good.

Therefore, start when you can NOBO and later if it looks like you might not get to Maine in time, do a flip. If your still on the trail at the end of August, that would be a good time to flip unless your really close.
    Hikers can be very, very snobbish.
    Not most of them, just some of them.
    You gotta remember some of these folks this is all they got.
    You got ounce counters and people who don't think they are hiking unless they've burned 30 miles on the trail.
    At RGO we are big fans of the Hike your own Hike mentality. You're the one doing it so you're the one who needs to be happy. If that means eating peanut butter and ramen noodles out of a stove from wal-mart then get to it. For others it's Titanium everything and dehydrated Mountain House. We believe that if you're having fun then you're doing right.
    I've hied the West Coast Trail on Vancouver Island and that trail makes the AT look like a sidewalk. But sure enough I met a father and son team. The kid was 9 at the time. He was getting his butt whooped by the trail and, I mean proper spanked. But he was doing it. And his Dad was crazy proud but also very worried that he was asking too much of his kid. But they can surprise you and themselves with how tough they can be.
    Get to it man. Don't put off your start dates.
    Don't come up with "reasons" it won't work. The things that hang you up in your "real" life will be the same things you battle on the AT, you just won't have a soft bed, TV or anything else to take the edge off. You'll have stinky shelter mates, rats, bugs, poison ivy and lots and lots of miles. If you make it to VA you can finish. Come see us.
    Yea man! We've been following your journal entries and I'm glad you are not letting all the negatives get in your way. Keep on keeping on and as much as possible get out and test your gear. You can read the books, follow the posts and ask the questions but you won't know for sure until you're in the field. Much of the hiking industry is built around dudes going out with some piece of gear and saying this works this doesn't and then they built some new cool thing. Get out there and test what you've bought!
    Your feet! Whatever you do, try your best to prevent blisters! Friction/Heat and moisture will crush your feet. It does not matter how tough you are mentally a few well placed blisters will stop your hike in it's tracks! Mole skin or blister pads to help prevent.
    Being on a fixed budget is understandable, but if you spend big on anything spend it on your feet! The right shoes, properly fitted and broken in will make a world of difference. The kids too. You don't want to end up having to haul them out because they have a blister the size of a golf ball on the bottom of their feet that bleeds and oozes the nasty. Plus they take weeks to heal.
    Rockfish Gap Outfitters is located in VA 2 miles off the A.T. in Waynesboro. If you can make it us, you can finish. I'll buy a beer and the kids will get a coke or two. Just ask for Jack.
    Good luck and go easy.
    A great family adventure, good luck, have fun don't take it too seriously, one man and two boys will become three men..Aquone Hostel
    I hope you have a good hike. As far as being in shape just start walking. Forget about distance, start with hour a day and increase. I have found that people starting get to concerned about the distance. If you can hike 6-8 hours a day the distance will come. I have run into several familys over the years the youngest was with a 7yo. So your kids will do fine. As some have told you start slow. Some thing to remember is "You can never, never walk up hill to slow". "Do not make any decisions walking up hill" Both these are from Warren Doyal 17 time thru-hiker. Again have fun, I look forward to following you.
    Stay with the NOBO....Maine is the most difficult and not the place to start if you have no hiking experience. Don't I sound like the voice of experience? I'm not....I'm new myself, and know that Katahdin is not the way to start, it's the way to finish. The boys will be at the required pace to finish even with an April start in no time...it's likely you'll be holding them back. The simple solution is to try and see how you progress. If you get to say, Harper's Ferry, and know you're too far behind you can always flip-flop. By that time you'll be in great shape for Katahdin, and you can use the Pine Grove Furnace marker (and ice cream challenge) as your finishing marker and reward. Give yourselves a chance.
    Good luck on your journey and your weight loss! I'm 6' and was 283 Jan 1st I'm now down to 257. Unfortunately I'm not planning a thru hike because of the time and money but would love to. Size doesn't stop me from doing section hiking and hiking locally. Keep with your plan and keep us informed! Happy hiking!!
    Thanks bro! I love the Shakespeare comment. It is true as it gets too. I think people put way too much stock in the education system as it is. Most of the time, kids do not learn ANYTHING about life at school.
    I am gonna go check it out. I may go see if it is at the library first. Thanks for the recommendation!
    Thanks Steve. I appreciate the support~! Yea, I do think the boys will have a ball. I do think I will lose weight and I know that smoking has to go. I have been waiting for the perfect motivation to stop smoking. For some reason, death wasn't enough. It took the Appalachian Trail idea.
    Go to the ATC web site King. They discuss all types of thru hikes. One version (called "cool breeze" for reasons I do not know) has you start in at PA/NJ line and go south to Harpers Ferry VA, then shuttle back to NJ and go north and summit Mt K in Aug or so, then shuttle back to Harper's Ferry and finish going south to Springer Mt. My son has done a lot of AT miles, and a thru-hike, and reports that the black flies will drive you crazy in VT-Maine any time before a July start for a SOBO. Lots of options. Tell your sons that Shakespeare never graduated from high school. .
    King, I like AWOL's data book. His book "Awol on the Appalachian Trail" is a good read also.
    Hey, I applaud people trying to lose weight. It is hard! Sounds to me like your boys are in for a blast. Speaking of smoking and hiking, I saw an AT DVD where these two brothers got ALL their gear from Marlboro cigarette company (or maybe Camel), and they were serious hikers. The one guy was hilarious about how many cigarettes he had to smoke to get the gear. (But I do hope you can quit....it will make the hiking more fun).
    Thank you VERY MUCH Linder...I really appreciate it!
    You can do it! You have a good attitude! If we all gave up because of our short fallings no one would be on the trail. Take care and good luck!! Wicked
    Thank you VERY much for your advice...I appreciate it.
    Hello King. Initially, I planned a thru hike but for many reasons, decided I would do the trail in sections - mostly by states to start with. For example, CT, NY, NJ, MA, VT, etc., taking about a week for each and spreading it out across 2013. I won't complete the trail this year but I will do several states in manageble "chunks". Who knows what next year will bring but it gets me out on the AT and allows me to keep my job, adjust my gear, get things done around the house and keep my wife happy too. It doesn't have to be a thru hike...just hike your own hike and enjoy the experience. Anyway, my 2 cents....good luck to you.