WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Teacher & Snacktime

1. The Maine Event & Season Finale – Part 5 – Rangeley

Rt 16 out of Stratton toward Rangeley is a really delightful ride. It was level, nicely shouldered and well-paved enough to allow one to enjoy its scenic bounty at a brisk 55+mph. We made exceptional time on this leg of our adventure. We did experience one brief delay, however, brought about by the presence of that ubiquitous yet elusive, monumental Maine mammal and the holy grail of New England wildlife enthusiasts…..a moose…or more precisely, a pair of moose. I’d never experienced a roadside sighting

Updated 09-16-2013 at 10:49 by Teacher & Snacktime

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. The Maine Event & Season Finale – Part 4 – Stratton

After our short 14hr nap in the luxury accommodations of the reclining front seats, Snacktime and I awoke refreshed and ready to hit some more of the road. We bade Yogi our Savior adieu (after a photo of course) and headed back onto Rt 201N, with a goal of locating Rt 16/27 W and the Stratton trailhead. We stopped en route in Kingfield for breakfast at the Dam Diner, a punny little general store with a lunch counter in the back and (according to Snacktime) the best chicken burgers in the world.

Updated 09-08-2013 at 11:52 by Teacher & Snacktime

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. The Maine Event & Season Finale – Part 3 – In Search of …Sleep

I have an impeccable sense of direction, and pride myself on being able to find my way to and from anywhere, working on a system of interpretation, logic and intuition. Unless I’m overtired; then I can’t find my way across the street (never mind back again). Thus, our trip to Caratunk took a bit longer than expected, as we drove for over an hour in the wrong direction. (Who knew that the Rt 16 East wouldn’t take us west? Jeez…some mapmakers are SO literal!) However, after a wonderful dinner of ice

Updated 09-08-2013 at 05:43 by Teacher & Snacktime

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. The Maine Event & Season Finale – Part 2 – Magic in Monson

At the very beginning of our trail magic planning, Snacktime and I had hopes of two major setups – one at the very end of Mahoosic Notch (who wouldn’t want a cold soda and snack then!) and the other at the beginning of the 100 Mile Wilderness. We pictured ourselves settled comfortably into lawn chairs under a small umbrella relaxing and reading and awaiting fatigued hikers eager for our meager offerings (no doubt belly-crawling toward us for the final 100 ft with their raspy voices eking through

Updated 09-02-2013 at 14:19 by Teacher & Snacktime

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. The Maine Event & Season Finale - Part 1 - Monson & The Silly Walkers

In just over 48 hours Snacktime and I drove 900 miles in a whirlwind tour of AT towns and trailheads in northern Maine. It was to be our final trail magic trip of the season, as well as our last chance to catch up with some of our WhiteBlaze friends before they finished their thruhikes. The trip was a little crazy, a little disorganized and confused, and a lot of fun.

First off, we left at midnight Tuesday morning with the idea of meeting up with the Silly Walkers again for breakfast...this

Updated 08-11-2016 at 10:28 by Teacher & Snacktime

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast