WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

DBCFlash

1. Bad knees and kind souls

I woke up to a chilly, chilly morning. My idea to throw my tarp over the sleeping bag had allowed the humidity from my bag to condense and freeze into a layer of ice, and my water bottle was frozen near solid. I hobbled out of the shelter, muscles stiff and achy from the overexertion of the previous day. The sun was bright and my breath looked like a steam locomotive. I stumbled down to the stream to collect a bottle of liquid water for my coffee and oatmeal and looked out across the frozen Beaver ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Pine Swamp Shelter and the chilly night.

I finally made it to the Pine Swamp Shelter. I had hiked over 13 miles and was completely exhausted. My water once again was gone and all I wanted was a nice long drink.I dropped my pack, grabbed my bottle and plodded down the hill to fill up. The water was about 100 yards down from the shelter and I was very disappointed once I got there. Swamp-water
    Compared to the sparkling, wonderful water the night before at Limestone Spring, this was nasty, smelly, murky sludge. Tired, thirsty and ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Belters Bump and a too long day

We hiked up to Belters Bump, a sunny rock outcropping with a great view and stopped for lunch. At this point I was beginning to get tired, and my pack was getting heavy. I knew we had a long way left to go and I was wondering if this was a good idea or not. Must have been hypoglycemia because once my tuna roll up hit my stomach I was ready for more. We hiked right past Belters Campsite and I made a big mistake. My wonderful, fresh spring-water from Limestone Spring was just about gone, but I simply ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Housatonic Railroad to Sharon Mountain

The trail skirts alongside the Housatonic Rail line and was covered in huge downed trees and lumber from above. The largest of the downed trees had thankfully been sawn through, but there was one very tall, dead tree lightly hung up in the boughs of another, eerily creaking, swaying and moaning in the breeze. I puckered up and scurried past this evil widow-maker, my imagination picturing the giant log crushing me at any moment. we popped out at the intersection of routes 112 and 7 and couldn't figure ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Down Mt Prospect and on to the Housatonic

Awoke with the sunrise after dreaming of bears grunting and rustling in the leaves. Turns out it was my friends snoring and the rustle of his synthetic sleeping bag. Made my coffee, my breakfast and repacked my pack. Somehow my stuff seemed twice as large and my pack seemed a foot taller than yesterday. The trek back up the waterfall from Limestone Spring shelter was a little intimidating, but this time I slowed down and took in the beautiful, cascading waterfall. Up seemed much easier than down. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast