View RSS Feed

Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. Maybe I was too hard on myself

In September of last year I stated that I was reconciled to two, undeniable facts
    https://whiteblaze.net/forum/entr...-New-Hampshire

Even though I am even MORE reconciled to the Phillies not winning the World Series this year, it seems that I might have been too pessimistic about my own capabilities.

Due to my less than stellar performance last year, I concluded that I was going to have to work up ...
  2. We all have to (re)start somewhere

I'm about as far from an all-year hiker as you can find. I definitely don't long hikes in the winter, and I don't even like to backpack in early spring or late fall.
    So how do I ensure that I'm ready for the rigors of The Trail after many months of avoiding it?

I presently have a three-step process to test everything:

Step 1) One night camping at a state park just a few hours from home. I force myself to use ONLY that stuff that I've placed in my backpack, ...

Updated 06-18-2015 at 22:31 by GoldenBear

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Halfway there after two more days of ultimate slackpacking!

The most recent statement on the length of the A.T.
    http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about-the-trail
    gives an answer of 2180 miles.
    This means that section hikers such as myself have passed the half-way point once they have hiked 1090 miles. After my most recent multi-day hike, I calculated my total miles covered as 1081.8 -- meaning I needed just over eight miles to get to that half-way point.

Due to my (basically successful) effort to minimize difficult hiking ...

Updated 10-16-2014 at 10:19 by GoldenBear

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Returning to New England, and a first time in New Hampshire

This summer I have reconciled myself to two facts:
    1) the Phillies won't win the World Series in 2014.
    2) I'm not yet ready to hike the White Mountains.
    I arrived at both conclusions based on the lack of ability of specific people to do tasks required for these goals.

I'll spare everyone -- myself included -- the details on how I came to conclusion (1).

I reached conclusion (2) based on my lack of ability to handle significant elevations changes ...
  5. Hit a dry spell - Part 2

When you last heard from me, I was Johns Spring Shelter, having seen a bear but not one place to get a drop of water. No surprise that I abandoned the idea of washing myself and my clothes; instead I resolved to get water the next day. Since I was the only there as it began to get dark, I planned on a quiet night under this roof.

Then "Uncle," "Nephew," and "Niece" (U-N-N, for short) arrived.
    I like telling the truth -- and the WHOLE truth -- in ...
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast