WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

GoldenBear

1. Too muddy, too muggy, too buggy -- Part 1

Having done about 750 miles of the Trail in a series of section hikes and day trips, it has become increasingly difficult to choose a place to do a hike. In looking for such a section, I have to balance cost & ease to get to each terminus, my ability to hike this part without major discomfort, and the time I will reasonably need to complete the walk. As the cost to reach the Trail goes up as the distant to a terminus increases, short hikes have become cost-inefficient -- I simply can't spend ...

Updated 07-21-2013 at 23:28 by GoldenBear

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Thorton Gap to Ashby Gap - Part 2

The 10,000 character limit on blog posts means I could not complete my comments on Day 1 AND mention how to walk between the A.T. and Matthews Arm Campground (MAC) in SNP. So I'll just fill in that minor detail on the second part of my post, then finish my report on Days 2 and 3. To those who just follow the Trail through SNP, without bothering to pay for a campground, just skip the next paragraph group.

As this pdf shows
    http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisi..._area_2013.pdf ...
  3. Thorton Gap to Ashby Gap - Part 1

As noted before, a problem with section hiking is that you find gaps in your effort to complete all parts of the Trail. For me, that turned out to be a section between Thorton Gap (TG) in Shenandoah National Park (SNP), and Ashby Gap (aka U.S. Highway 50). A dozen or so trips to SNP has resulted in my covering everything from Rockfish Gap to TG, and I had made plans to complete the rest of SNP in a very piece-meal manner. However, recognizing that I would have to do Compton Gap to Ashby Gap at SOME ...
  4. High Point down to Delaware Water Gap - Part 1

My previous day hikes, both on my own and with help from Shuttle, had left a gap between Highway 23 in High Point State Park and the town of Delaware Water Gap. I thus resolved to find a way to do these 41 (or so) miles and finish off the Trail within New Jersey. My first plan was to pay an ungodly sum to get shuttled from DWG to HP, but then stumbled on the fact that I can ride mass transit not only to DWG, but to the town of Port Jervis -- less than five miles from where I wanted to start my hike. ...

Updated 06-16-2013 at 14:38 by GoldenBear

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Filling in some gaps -- in agonizing detail

One problem with doing all 2100 miles of the A.T. via day trips and section hikes is that it is easy to miss a few miles here and there. If the trail consists of points A-B-C-D, and hiking is easy to arrange between points A & B and between points C & D, then it is almost inevitable that the miles between point B & C will be forgotten. That is what I found for the 21.5 miles between the Warwick Turnpike near Wawayanda State Park and Highway 17 near Southfields. The latter was where I ...

Updated 06-16-2013 at 14:43 by GoldenBear

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast