WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

GoldenBear

1. High Point down to Delaware Water Gap - Part 1

My previous day hikes, both on my own and with help from Shuttle, had left a gap between Highway 23 in High Point State Park and the town of Delaware Water Gap. I thus resolved to find a way to do these 41 (or so) miles and finish off the Trail within New Jersey. My first plan was to pay an ungodly sum to get shuttled from DWG to HP, but then stumbled on the fact that I can ride mass transit not only to DWG, but to the town of Port Jervis -- less than five miles from where I wanted to start my hike. ...

Updated 06-16-2013 at 14:38 by GoldenBear

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Wimpy hike (Part 2)

Thursday was going to be the day with maximum mileage, but it looked (and is) pretty flat once I got to Dismal Creek. What I didn’t plan for was THIS day being the day when thunderstorms hit. Considering how dry the area has been for the last month, and how distracting the sun had been for the last three days; I didn’t mind seeing clouds gathering, or hearing distant thunder. As the thunder grew louder, I knew I had to be prepared for the possibility of rain coming my way. When I saw a lightning ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. A pleasant walk occasionally interrupted - Part B

> [Upper Goose Ponds Cabin] was a a place I didn't want to leave -- which may explain the next part of the story.

I'm sure both of the people who actually read my journal entries have experienced paroxysms of anguish, waiting to hear what's "the next part of the story."
    It's actually pretty straightforward. On a day when I wanted to (again) get another early start to the day, I zipped off from UGPC with a burst of energy, both arms swinging along as they were both ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Based on my choices from a week ago, I nominate myself for "Bonehead of the Year"

Firstly, I did NOT have the worst trail time ever. When my short section hike was over, all I had were insect bites.
    These were not mistakes of a careless newbie or lack of planning, prep, or thinking. I have (1) camped and hiked for decades, (2) day-hiked on the AT for years, and (3) done a few over-nights, to ensure I could do okay with just a pack.
    Nor was this over-ambition. For my first attempt at true back-packing, I chose a trip of about 45 miles of walking over four days walking ...
    Tags: 1'", 1ˤˢ Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Do you need rain where you live? - Part 1

Sometimes I wonder if I’m a weather shaman, able to bring rain to whatever part of The Trail I happen to walk on. Remember in April of this year, when I said that (near Harpers Ferry) I hiked in the rain for the first time? I’ve since made seven treks on the AT – and gotten rained on every trip! If your part of the country is in a drought, feel free to pay me to hike there, so that you’ll get a minimum of a centimeter of rain in a matter of days.

This trip was still another to Vermont ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast