WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

GoldenBear

1. Another gap filled via ultimate slack-packing

As I have noted before, my style of section hiking -- with start & end points determined by ease of access to shuttles within four or five hiking days of safe parking -- often leaves gaps in where I've hiked. Such was the case in the Blacksburg area, where there was 25 miles of trail that I had missed because it was out of reach of both Troutville and Wood's Hole. Blessedly, that distance is what I could easily do in two days of slack packing with Shuttle. Even more blessedly, that part of The ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. It FINALLY stopped raining in Pearisburg!

As I noted in my previous blog post,
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/entr...hard-on-myself
    my original hope was to do a lot of hiking in the Pearisburg area in the spring, and then hit The Whites in the summer. That blog also noted that there has been not one week where the weather in that region was rain-free enough for my tastes. Thus, when I saw that there was going to be an entire week with very minimal chance for rain, I jumped at the chance.
  3. Maybe I was too hard on myself

In September of last year I stated that I was reconciled to two, undeniable facts
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/entr...-New-Hampshire

Even though I am even MORE reconciled to the Phillies not winning the World Series this year, it seems that I might have been too pessimistic about my own capabilities.

Due to my less than stellar performance last year, I concluded that I was going to have to work up ...
  4. We all have to (re)start somewhere

I'm about as far from an all-year hiker as you can find. I definitely don't long hikes in the winter, and I don't even like to backpack in early spring or late fall.
    So how do I ensure that I'm ready for the rigors of The Trail after many months of avoiding it?

I presently have a three-step process to test everything:

Step 1) One night camping at a state park just a few hours from home. I force myself to use ONLY that stuff that I've placed in my backpack, ...

Updated 06-18-2015 at 22:31 by GoldenBear

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Halfway there after two more days of ultimate slackpacking!

The most recent statement on the length of the A.T.
    http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about-the-trail
    gives an answer of 2180 miles.
    This means that section hikers such as myself have passed the half-way point once they have hiked 1090 miles. After my most recent multi-day hike, I calculated my total miles covered as 1081.8 -- meaning I needed just over eight miles to get to that half-way point.

Due to my (basically successful) effort to minimize difficult hiking ...

Updated 10-16-2014 at 10:19 by GoldenBear

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast