PDA

View Full Version : Good deal on gear for 2 months?

lilgodwin
06-10-2016, 10:41
I've yet to compile a list of what I want/need, but I'm putting this out there for anyone looking to get rid of many items for one reason or another.

Downsizing, upgrading, lost interest, etc... Or just want to help out a very new hiker hoping to fulfill a dream. Those are the types of sales I'm looking for.

I don't know exactly what I need, but many items seem to be a given. Pack, sleeping gear, cooking gear, etc. If I can pick up most of the necessities in one go, that'd be fantastic. I realize there are preferences regarding most of the gear, but for arguments sake let's say I don't have a preference, or that I'd go with the majority vote.

About Me: Male, 26, 5'10", 180-185lbs. Hiking 8 weeks starting late August at Springer Mountain. Hopefully that gives you experienced hikers an idea of the weather conditions I'll go through and the types of gear I'll need. Gear weight preference is average I guess. Not looking at ultralight, but I obviously don't want the heaviest stuff out there.

This trip is twofold. First is the obvious experience of hiking a large portion of the AT. My brother sparked my interest 3-5 years ago, and I've been wanting to do it ever since. Second is to help prepare myself for my next life endeavor, where I look to join the Army Special Forces early next year. Well, start the 2 year long program to join anyway. Some/much of the training/testing involves hiking with heavy packs. I'd like to really familiarize myself with the general concept to give myself the best chances at making it through.

If this works, I guarantee my best efforts to take very good care of the gear AND put it all back up for sale for the same price or cheaper to help the next hiker out.

I also welcome opinions for any gear offers I may actually receive. I know, I'm probably really hopeful beyond reasonable expectations, but I figured I'd try.

I guess that's it. Safe hiking and God bless.

Thanks!

EDIT: If you aren't comfortable posting up a price on the thread, then feel free to message me with one. Cost will play a major role in my decision to purchase.

Venchka
06-10-2016, 10:55
Special Forces, hey?
Better pack a few bricks and live off of MREs.
Much of my gear is ancient, but lighter than military hardware.
Good luck!

Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

left52side
06-10-2016, 11:19
I have several packs and sleeping gear I would be willing to get rid of as well as numerous cook kits .
And shelter/tarp...
Send me an email if interested in a list and ill pit one together for you.

lilgodwin
06-10-2016, 18:09
Thanks Venchka.

Haha, I've had my fair share of MRE's after some of the earlier 2000's hurricanes came through the Florida panhandle. I didn't mind them, well, some of them. Pretty sure they were most of my meals for a couple weeks. Oh, good times.

Left52side, message sent!

left52side
06-10-2016, 19:03
Haha, I've had my fair share of MRE's after some of the earlier 2000's hurricanes came through the Florida panhandle. I didn't mind them, well, some of them. Pretty sure they were most of my meals for a couple weeks. Oh, good times

Hey Caleb I hear ya on the hurricanes.
We have been lucky for the last 7 years or so on the nature coast here.
Got alot of rain last week because of Colin but nothing to major.
I sometimes get nervous that one is just building up waiting to unleash 7 years of weather on our beautiful coast.
I stay packed up with dehydrated food and mre type stuff and plenty of water for just in case s@@@ happens.
There is fifty gallons of water and enough denatured alcohol to keep us going for days.
Also replied to your message with A list of some stuff.
Will send pictures of stuff you might be interested in when I have time over the weekend.

lilgodwin
06-10-2016, 19:11
Excellent, thanks!

Yeah we've been blessed to pretty much go without a hurricane in the last 7-8 years. They're fun to go through, but the obvious damages can be tragic. I've been out of Florida for the better part of 4-5 years though. Headed back soon, so we'll see. My family is still there and no reports of weather too terrible.

lilgodwin
07-12-2016, 15:17
Still in the market for some gear, detailed in the first post. [emoji4]

lilbear
07-13-2016, 21:22
I've had good luck seeking out the best price on tents and packs, then actually buying from eBags. I know it sucks not to support small businesses, but they'll match best price at 110%. They don't have the biggest selection but carry most name brands. Just got a new tent that way... Shipping is free too.

lilgodwin
07-14-2016, 01:12
Thanks for the tip! I'll certainly check it out.