WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Timber Rattlesnake on Old AT Route Atop Blue Mountain Near Lehigh Gap in Pennsylvania

Added by ga2me9603
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »

Timber Rattlesnake on Old AT Route Atop Blue Mountain Near Lehigh Gap in Pennsylvania

Views: 3,542 [+] Larger Image  

Filmstrip 
‹‹Chimney Rocks   Panorama view from the pulpit  Timber Rattlesnake on Old AT Route Atop Blue Mountain Near Lehigh Gap in Pennsylvania  5

Description for Timber Rattlesnake on Old AT Route Atop Blue Mountain Near Lehigh Gap in Pennsylvania

Description by ga2me9603

ga2me9603

I took this photo of a timber rattlesnake crossing the old route of the AT atop Blue Mountain near Lehigh Gap in Pennsylvania.

The gravel road here has been improved somewhat to accommodate vehicle usage since the reforestation/revegetation project (Palmerton Zinc Superfund Site) of Blue Mountain began.

The new, relocated route of the AT is to the left of the road (headed north) and down about 300 feet off the ridge. It's actually pretty nice -- mostly flat and grass-lined with open views of Palmerton below and, get this, almost devoid of any significant rocks. But it has lots of wood ticks so keep checking yourself through it.

It's interesting that it was exactly one year and three days since I saw and photographed a previous timber rattlesnake on this old route of the AT on May 18, 2012, which I've posted on this website, too.

Photo taken 12:25 p.m. Tuesday, May 21, 2013.

Comments for Timber Rattlesnake on Old AT Route Atop Blue Mountain Near Lehigh Gap in Pennsylvania (1)

1. #1 Cookerhiker
    Re: Timber Rattlesnake on Old AT Route Atop Blue Mountain Near Lehigh Gap in Pennsylvania
    Nice photo - that's the way we want to see them, with plenty of room to spare!