WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Scariest part of the trail

Added by Jumpstart
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »

Scariest part of the trail

Views: 5,817  

Filmstrip 
‹‹Thoreau Springs...1 single mile left.   Going Up, and up, and up  Scariest part of the trail  Baloo and Mickey Mouse on the summit

Description for Scariest part of the trail

Description by Jumpstart

Jumpstart

We weren't sure if we were on the current AT or the old one, as the blazes in this section got really confusing. All I know was that I didn't reckon having to rock climb a section. Yikes!

Comments for Scariest part of the trail (5)

1. #1 SawnieRobertson
    What is this location--PRECISELY? :-)

Kinnickinic
  2. #2 Jumpstart
    Well I've only been up Katahdin once, so precise locations were tough, but this was right about as you are coming to tree line,about 2 (2.5?) miles from the bottom, the trail gets skinny and goes into this little section of scraggly trees and then pops out here...the blazes for this section were deftinely white but they were kind of like white blobs, I remember thinking " this must be the old section?" becuase a lot of the other blazes we followed were new looking. Scared the hell out of me to do this part.
  3. #3 TJ aka Teej
    I think this is past Rescue Rock and The Cave, after the trail moves away from Witherle Ravine, and below the Monkey Bars. You're climbing *up* then the trail moves to the right beneath some huge boulders to this point. Several roots and branches on this section are polished smooth by thousands of hikers using the same handholds. Blazes painted on Katahdin granite only last a few winters, and where they're very exposed they quickly show their age.
  4. #4 neighbor dave
    Re: Scariest part of the trail
    that's not the A.T.! the trail is below that photo and to the right. it goes downhill just a bit then heads back uphill. it's easy to get confused there!!
  5. #5 Bloodroot
    Re: Scariest part of the trail
    Quote Originally Posted by neighbor dave
    that's not the A.T.! the trail is below that photo and to the right. it goes downhill just a bit then heads back uphill. it's easy to get confused there!!
    Yeah this is off the trail