WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Walnut Mt Shelter

Added by Tn Bandit
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »
Views: 4,834  

Filmstrip 
‹‹Downtown Hot Springs   View of Max Patch  Walnut Mt Shelter  View of Mt Cammerer

Description for Walnut Mt Shelter

Description by Tn Bandit

Tn Bandit

Can't miss this shelter just a few inches from the trail

Comments for Walnut Mt Shelter (3)

1. #1 Tripod
    Very nice shot. I remember comming across this shelter on my overnight hike from Max Patch to Hot Springs. As I recall, it wasn\'t on my map!
  2. #2 sherrill
    Re: Walnut Mt Shelter
    I've been there, and everytime I see a pic of it, I remember this from Then The Hail Came (George Steffanos):

The AT finally turned off of that fateful road and plunged into the woods. I plodded the final wretched mile up Walnut Mountain to the shelter.

I almost snapped when I saw the place. Were the universe to receive an enema, Walnut Mountain Shelter is the exact spot where it would be administered. I knew before I arrived that the place had been built in 1938, but its forty-five years must have been very hard ones, because it looks ancient. The floorboards tilt in every conceivable direction and seem on the brink of collapse. Wind and rain are blasting in through numerous gaping holes in the walls, and the roof makes an excellent sieve. Home, sweet home.
  3. #3 Hikerhead
    Hammocked up the hill behind it one night. Windiest night ever. Had to chase my hammock down the hill the next morning trying to pack up.
  4. #4 Kerosene
    I decided to setup my tent in the cleared field below the shelter, with a view of the lights of Hot Springs in the valley below.