WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Martin leads Atlanta Ladies class on Yoga at Hog Back Ridge Shelter 24JUN20

Added by cabeza de vaca
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »

Martin leads Atlanta Ladies class on Yoga at Hog Back Ridge Shelter 24JUN20

Views: 3,076  

Filmstrip 
‹‹Princess Leah Reads at Flint Mountain Shelter 24JUN2005   Princess Leah Relaxes at Flint Mountain Shelter 24JUN2005  Martin leads Atlanta Ladies class on Yoga at Hog Back Ridge Shelter 24JUN20  Cabeza de Vaca at Mill Ridge Fields sign 28JUN2005

Description for Martin leads Atlanta Ladies class on Yoga at Hog Back Ridge Shelter 24JUN20

Description by cabeza de vaca

cabeza de vaca

First, my apologies for the picture quality...it seems I was unable to steady the camera while capturing this once-in-a-lifetime event. What I attempted to document is an early morning yoga class being held on the AT behind Hog Back Ridge Shelter on 24JUN05. The instructor, Martin, lead a group of five gourmand (that's lovers of good food, not the gluttonous second meaning) Atlanta, Georgia-based ladies section hiking from Sam's Gap to Allen Gap. Martin and his father, Frank, from Northern Virginia, joined Princess Leah and me at the shelter on the evening of 23JUN05. Prior to Martin's arrival, the ladies, teachers all I believe, marched in and set up a very professional camp, even though this was the first hike for three of their number. Steve Fitzgerald, an experienced, speedy, and daily high-milage hiker from Maine, also joined the crowd. We five others marveled at the feast the ladies brought along: bruschetta, pesto pasta, biscotti, white wine. And the menu and libations for the ladies' remaining evenings on the trail created even more awe and envy. Somehow, during the course of dinner conversation, Martin mentioned his qualifications as a yoga instructor. This was immediately siezed upon by the "gourmet hikers" who prevailed upon him to lead them in the art near first light next morning. Thus the picture you see. Martin, Steve, and Frank headed NOBO. Princess Leah and I, SOBO, spent the next evening at Flint Mountain Shelter with the ladies. (PL still speaks with great reverence of the margaritas while castigating poor Cabeza for his thoughtless provisioning.) As a final note, one of the inexperieced ladies acquired her trail-name on the first day, Pinot-Moir (pronounced "Pee-No-More&quot, for her reluctance to make use of the woods and privy. By the time the group reached Flint Mountain, however, Pinot-Moir (you will by now have noticed the word play on wine grapes) had (thankfully, I suspect) overcome her reticence. Fare well, good fellows and ladies well met.

Comments for Martin leads Atlanta Ladies class on Yoga at Hog Back Ridge Shelter 24JUN20 (1)

1. #1 Rain Man
    Re: Martin leads Atlanta Ladies class on Yoga at Hog Back Ridge Shelter 24JUN20
    I know it was 5 years ago now, but love the story that goes with this photo. Worth sharing, even if fuzzy!