WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Ed Garvey Shelter

Added by MOWGLI
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »
Views: 4,989 [+] Larger Image  
by MOWGLI

Filmstrip 
‹‹Port Clinton, PA pavilion   Eckville Shelter, PA  Ed Garvey Shelter  DSC00560

Description for Ed Garvey Shelter

Description by MOWGLI

MOWGLI

I think this kind of structure along the AT is overkill. What do you think?

Comments for Ed Garvey Shelter (6)

1. #1 LIhikers
    Re: Ed Garvey Shelter
    For a typical backpacker this is much more than is needed. But this shelter is so close to Harper's Ferry that I bet it gets an awful lot of people who aren't your typical backpacker. My wife and I stayed there the summer after it was opned and there wasn't room for everyone. There were a lot of people who put up their tents around the shelter.
  2. #2 Wildman
    You mean because of the glass at the top? Plum Orchard shelter out of Dicks Creek Gap in GA has a similar architecture, actually has 3 levels and I think plexiglas windows in the gables. Looks good. It was built by the Ranger Battalion that trains in North GA. I don't know, the shelter looks good, but if it attracts a lot of overflow, who knows?
  3. #3 TACKLE
    Better than having 20 tents set up all over every night,and I guess it's not overkill, if it's full.
  4. #4 wilderness bob
    Better then no shelter at all, if needed that is. Remember, not every day on the trail is warm and pleasant.
  5. #5 Chicken Feathers
    If you think this is overkill wait until you see the new Stover Creek Shelter in Georgia.
  6. #6 shelterbuilder
    In spite of the fact that I am a HUGE fan of log structures, and admire the workmanship that I can see, and am in awe of the number of manhours that must have gone into this project, I am nevertheless amazed that the project made it's way through the permitting process...and now, the powers-that-be are worrying about "shelters creep" and losing the "primitive" aspect of the Trail experience. For shame!!! I've never seen the site, so I can't comment on overkill, but the structure is gorgeous!