WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Cog Rail Engine and Yellow Car

Added by Kerosene
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »

Cog Rail Engine and Yellow Car

Views: 4,104 [+] Larger Image  

Filmstrip 
‹‹Madison Gulf   Wildcat Mountain  Cog Rail Engine and Yellow Car  Mt. Washington Radio Tower

Description for Cog Rail Engine and Yellow Car

Description by Kerosene

Kerosene

You can see the smoke from these ancient engines from 30 miles away on a clear day, and hear the toot from 5 miles away on a calm day (Sept. 2006).

Comments for Cog Rail Engine and Yellow Car (4)

1. #1 bullseye
    Re: Cog Rail Engine and Yellow Car
    Really cool shot! When I went through here all you could see was......... well nothing. The fog was so thick you could cut it with a spork.
  2. #2 Kerosene
    Hikerhead (aka, Hokey Pokey) and I got incredibly lucky on the weather over the Presidentials as well as Franconia Notch. We took a zero at Crawford Notch to let a storm pass through, hiked up to LOTC Hut the prior day in fog, and the weather dawned clear, freakishly still, sunny and Indian-summer warm. Incredible!
  3. #3 Gray Blazer
    I've taken the Cog to the top. I've also driven to the top and hiked to the top. Love it up there. I want you to know you have one of the best galleries on WB. Hope to run into you one day on the AT.
  4. #4 coach lou
    I have indeed seen the smoke from Old Speck / Mahoosic Arm. The air that day was dead still, the smoke was rising perfectly straight for 1000s of feet until the wind took it at a 90 degree angle as it hit a higher altitude. No camera at the time.