WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Storyteller
    Images

Default Injury ends Meltzer's record shot, but his hike is not over yet

By CHRIS A. COUROGEN

The quest for the record appears to be over, but Karl Meltzer is not ready to pull the plug on his effort to through hike the Appalachian Trail.

A lower leg injury has put Meltzer's record attempt on ice -- literally, but the Speedgoat says if rest, ice and anti-inflamatory medication prescribed by his doctor do the trick within a few days, he plans to get back on the trail to complete his trek to Georgia.

"We'll give it a week," said Meltzer in a telephone interview Tuesday evening. "If it is still pretty bad in three or four days, then there is obviously some damage."

Meltzer's self diagnosis of the problem centers on the tibialis anterior, a large muscle that runs down the outside of the shin. But Meltzer is not certain of that diagnosis. His only consultation with a physician came over the phone with his doctor back in Utah.

"I have never had shin splints, or any injuries like this, so I can't really diagnose myself," he said.

Meltzer speculates the problem was caused by the poison ivy he got on his foot. The discomfort of the poison caused him to run more on his heels, favoring his toes. Ironically, the poison has all buy cleared up and is no longer effecting his stride.

"i'm going to let the meds do their work. If I can continue, I will," Meltzer said.

If not?

"The trail will always been there. I'll be back," Meltzer said.

He concedes the time off the trail likely means he won't be able to break Andrew Thompson's record of 47 days, 13 hours and 31 minutes. But he repeated his pre-start pledge to finish the hike regardless of the record if he is able.

"It's not all about he record. The record is icing on the cake," said Meltzer.

If he can't finish this year, Meltzer said he plans to return next year or the year after. Even if he finishes this year. Meltzer won't rule out another shot at the record in the future, perhaps with a slightly different approach.

"You learn from experience," he said.

Among the things Meltzer might tweak would be the way he has depended on his support RV for overnight accommodations.

"I might have a bivvy set up once in a while so I could go an extra seven miles instead of stopping at the RV when it is still daylight," he said.

A little more research into road crossings might also help, he said, citing a day where he stopped early at a road crossing, only to cross several roads that did not show up on his map early the next day.

Said Meltzer, "There are ways to go faster."

Nice article. Too bad you can't put it 'out on the wire' (not that I really know what that means)

Sounds like he is pretty humble, and knows he can go back and do a lot better. I bet if he comes back again, he'll seriously break the record.

How much did you feed him when asking questions? Did he freely talk about more research and sleeping out in the woods (i.e. was he reading whiteblaze and listening), or did you prompt him?

Either way, he seems willing to learn from this experience. I look forward to following him on the rest of his hike and hopefully his next attempt!

Storyteller
    Images

I asked if there was anything he would do different, but did not attempt to "lead" him in any direction.

He is a real easy interview. He talks freely and is very open. While I have not met him in person, from my two phone interviews with him, I'd say he is a good dude.

I never got the sense that this was an ego trip or that he was anything but humble about what he was attempting. I am looking forward to lifting a pint with him when he makes it to Pa.

Karl, if i ain't helpin' Squeaky next year, i'd be willing to give you support. let's see how it goes. i love this stuff!

Images

I'm glad to hear he's going to continue on the trail, record or no. The experience will do wonders for a future record attempt. I've really enjoyed watching his attempt develop and reading the critiques from many who have experience on the trail.

Just the notion of doing the AT in 47 days is amazing to me.

If Karl is truly humble, he will finish his hike this year and take better counsel next time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    If Karl is truly humble, he will finish his hike this year and take better counsel next time around.
    Why would that be necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by OregonHiker View Post
    Why would that be necessary?
    Experience. His own and that of others who have gone before him. Key missing ingredient here. Anybody can HYOH until the cows come home as far as I am concerned, but when one goes for any record, they need to be a strong and humble student of that record to increase their odds of breaking it.

Go Karl!

Images

Hope to see Karl finish up and have another go at it next year. I wonder if he has any feelings of "obligation" to finish the trail specifically related to the sponsorship and hype.

So there is plenty of time for him to start over. Why not do that?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jason of the Woods View Post
    So there is plenty of time for him to start over. Why not do that?
    Exactly my thought.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Great interview for sure- and you are right, Karl is a real easy going guy, no ego trip going on here...He is one of those guys that lets his actions speak, I have never heard him brag about any of his accomplishments. That is why I chose to sponsor Karl. (I am Jonny from Backcountry.com) This project is not about selling product, or getting our name out there, its just about a really great guy wanting to try something truly amazing. Karl is all for getting feedback from folks, and figuring out how to go about it differently next go around. (and FYI, he still hasn't REALLY thrown in the towell) Anyhow, if you see us out and about, please stop by, Karl and I love beer, and would gladly tip some with you. I just put a new post up about Karl in AM on the WK site. Check it out. Regards- JA

Good to hear! The website made it sound a little more like an ego trip to be honest, and so there was a lot of hackles up in the beginning, but Karl has won over a lot of people with his heart and his honesty on this 'blog'.

Good luck, and keep going! The rest of the trail is beautiful!

Gravity

Images

Default that's the Karl we know and love

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    Salt of the earth I tell ya, salt of the earth!
    JA

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1camper View Post
    Salt of the earth I tell ya, salt of the earth!
    JA

The smile about says it all. If I ever meet him in person, I'd love to grab a beer with him....
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

I also strained my tibialis anterior muscle (but two years ago), it still is a bit touchy going down hills

I just hope someone sooner or later takes that ridiculous few lines of text on the top of the whereskarl.com website. I doubt Karl thinks that way anymore.

You know, the one that says:
    On August 5, 2008, uber ultra-runner Karl Meltzer set off on the biggest race of his life. His challenge: to run the entire length of the 2,174-mile Appalachian Trail in less than 47 days. Definitely daunting. Absolutely grueling. Probably insane. But when he does it, he’ll rule the AT as the guy who conquered it, all of it, the fastest on two feet. This is going to be Man vs. Nature, Man vs. Self, Man vs. Clock – and it’s going to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    I just hope someone sooner or later takes that ridiculous few lines of text on the top of the whereskarl.com website. I doubt Karl thinks that way anymore.

You know, the one that says:
    On August 5, 2008, uber ultra-runner Karl Meltzer set off on the biggest race of his life. His challenge: to run the entire length of the 2,174-mile Appalachian Trail in less than 47 days. Definitely daunting. Absolutely grueling. Probably insane. But when he does it, he’ll rule the AT as the guy who conquered it, all of it, the fastest on two feet. This is going to be Man vs. Nature, Man vs. Self, Man vs. Clock – and it’s going to be good.
    I wholeheartedly agree.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

All I care about is what happens to that sweet truck, is it available on foreclousure? ......... Anyways .... stupid for outdoor companies to endorse such an endeaver.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++